Wedding Flashbacks, Critique Please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 15th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #1
New Boot

Wedding Flashbacks, Critique Please

Hello, this is my first post. I really like the way that everyone shares their ideas, opinions, and sample of their work. Here is a sample of a video that I shot and edited, it is the flashbacks chapter which I've always put at the end of the whole video. I've been doing editing for about 2 years, all in Vegas, with DVX-100 cam. I started to do flashbacks after a friend of mine suggested that I end my videos with it... so I started to do them... eventually I made up a style which is all black and white, with widescreen look, and mostly slo-mo shots. When I saw these forums, I realized that almost everyone is doing the same idea, just called differently... and boy have I been impressed!!! I'm considering investing in a fish-eye or wide angle lens... they look very awesome. Any comments are welcome, thanks in advance everyone!!

By the way, is there a better way of putting up my sample vids for others to see?? I don't have a web site, and I haven't seen many links of your videos to you tube... I hope I'm not the only one using YouTube... haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJb1SacRgzU
Miguel Avila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 06:59 AM   #2
Regular Crew

That was really well put together. (I guess a "flashback" chapter is the same thing as a "Highlights" chapter?) Great footage, good clean edit, smooth transitions and nice choice of music, as well. (What is song is that anyway?)

For what it's worth, I'm trying to get a wedding and event shooters section started on DVXuser.com

Here's the thread if you want to chime in...

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=90743

If you're not already a member over there, it's a great site. Indispensible for any DVX shooter, imo, but with a lot of depth into just about every aspect of filmmaking for the non-DVX shooters as well.
Jon Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Very Nice

Hello,
I like the black and white throughout the whole video.
You had interesting clients to video which really helps a lot.
I have no problems with the You Tube experience.
It's fast, and effective, and the quality is good enough for demos.
Good stuff.
Michael
Michael Steeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Anderson View Post
That was really well put together. (I guess a "flashback" chapter is the same thing as a "Highlights" chapter?) Great footage, good clean edit, smooth transitions and nice choice of music, as well. (What is song is that anyway?)

For what it's worth, I'm trying to get a wedding and event shooters section started on DVXuser.com

Here's the thread if you want to chime in...

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=90743

If you're not already a member over there, it's a great site. Indispensible for any DVX shooter, imo, but with a lot of depth into just about every aspect of filmmaking for the non-DVX shooters as well.
Thanks Jon, I think you hit the bullseye on my editing style, clean edit with smooth transitions... well at least for weddings. I don't know the name of the song, but I'll so some research, the couple gave me a burned cd with their favorite songs, but there were no titles. I have browsed the DVXuser.com forums, but not a member yet, I'll get on that to support the new section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Steeves View Post
Hello,
I like the black and white throughout the whole video.
You had interesting clients to video which really helps a lot.
I have no problems with the You Tube experience.
It's fast, and effective, and the quality is good enough for demos.
Good stuff.
Michael

Yup, the B&G were very interesting but more than anything they were having fun, they were comfortable with my work and I was comfortable with them, so that made everything easier. Thanks for the input Mike.
Old March 16th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #5
New Boot

Song Title

Fortunate
by: Maxwell
Old March 19th, 2007, 01:38 PM   #6
Major Player

Ummm....this is copyright infringement.....

>Miguel Avila< - "the couple gave me a burned cd with their favorite songs"

I have no problem with it if you shot the video for free as a friend of the family and to learn the tools of the trade but.....

if you start to charge for videotaping weddings then you must legally own the rights to use the music in the finished video. This is why there are things like royalty free music sites to supply legal use video for a license fee. This is actually true even if the project is for free although I doubt highly that you would be prosecuted for it.

It's a touchy subject too because the client often wants to have their favorite music to use in the video but unless you can secure the rights to use it then legally you could be liable for copyright infringement.

There are several posts regarding all of this as well as a copyright primer here http://dvinfo.net/articles/business/copyrightfaq1.php

Know the facts and don't get burned.
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hooey View Post
Ummm....this is copyright infringement.....

>Miguel Avila< - "the couple gave me a burned cd with their favorite songs"

I have no problem with it if you shot the video for free as a friend of the family and to learn the tools of the trade but.....

if you start to charge for videotaping weddings then you must legally own the rights to use the music in the finished video. This is why there are things like royalty free music sites to supply legal use video for a license fee. This is actually true even if the project is for free although I doubt highly that you would be prosecuted for it.

It's a touchy subject too because the client often wants to have their favorite music to use in the video but unless you can secure the rights to use it then legally you could be liable for copyright infringement.

There are several posts regarding all of this as well as a copyright primer here http://dvinfo.net/articles/business/copyrightfaq1.php

Know the facts and don't get burned.
Good to know. I hope everyone else know about this.
Miguel Avila is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques