Third Camera Idea at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 27th, 2007, 08:38 AM   #1
Major Player

Third Camera Idea

Our first and second cams are run by my wife and I, on both sides of the isle. Traditionally we place the third camera in the back -- most of the time fairly low to the ground. We go for the straight-down-the-isle shot so we don't have to worry about folks standing up.

IDEA: I want to get a boom for my tripod so I can position my third cam behind the back isle on the groom's side. The cam would be about 9-10 feet up there, so I wouldn't have to worry about people standing. The boom would point toward the alter, so I would be even closer to the action, and with that I could plug in a uni-directional shotgun mic w/a fuzzy muff-monster as a backup for when the wind blows or the officiant turns off his lavalier.

Thoughts?
Dana Salsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:50 AM   #2
Regular Crew

As the owner of an crane I really don't think you want to be lugging that thing around at weddings. Not only it is an increased safety hazard (falling down on top of someone), especially since you'll be leaving it all by itself, its just not pratical IMO. I've contemplated using it at some places and I might in the future but the hassel of bringing it, setting it up, and taking it down is just too much to worry about during a wedding.

EDIT: I just noticed you're talking about a boom, are you talking about a boom CRANE or just a normal boom? If you're talking about a normal boom then some of what I said is moot but it's still a hazard IMO.
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #3
Still Motion

Hi Dana,

While I don't use it in the way you do, I do operate a 3rd or 4th cam in that same way. I have a heavy duty backdrop stand that goes up to about 10-11 feet high. I have a bogen super clamp on top which allows me to adjust the camera to any angle I want. It is a very cheap setup and I use it as a balcony type shot when there is no balcony.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #4
Major Player

Excellent. It's good to see that someone's doing it.

You know, if the the camera falls on someone I've got two other cameras that would catch the footage. I could then sell the footage to pay for a lawyer. (Always thinkin')
Old March 27th, 2007, 12:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Actually, Patrick, would you tell me more about the setup. I can't seem to ind anything that would take my tripod to new heights and not freak out the bride. You mentioned a backdrop?
Old March 27th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #6
Inner Circle

just for an extra idea. The Bogen 3046/3246 legs with the extention and when fully cranked up will do about 10 feet in height. I know it's not the same as a boom or crane but perhaps it might be a bit more practical.

Just a thought.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 12:49 PM   #7
Still Motion

I am talking about the same idea as Don. I use something like this on ebay item # 290095961924. It goes rather high, is very well built, offers much better support than a regular light stand, and is very affordable. Throw a bogen clamp on the top and you can adjust the cam however you want and the whole thing s still very portable.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #8
Major Player

Get a 10 or 15 foot photographer's "light stand" add a 1/4" adapter and you're good to go. (A small ladder is needed of course).
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 07:09 AM   #9
Trustee

Patrick,
Do you have a link to the bogen clamp you mention?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 01:53 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Try this.....

Found this at my local junk dealer. Seems to be some where between 7 and 8 feet tall to the top joint. I could stand flat footed and just barely reach the crank....I' 5'9" or so.

Its made mostly of plastic but the braces seem to be thin aluminum. The legs are definitly plastic.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Third Camera Idea-aut_0176.jpg   Third Camera Idea-aut_0177.jpg  

Third Camera Idea-aut_0178.jpg  
Randall Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 03:52 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Having a camera up that high, my only worry would be that the footage it produces might look like it came from a security camera. The difference being that in Hollywood shoots the crane usually performs some kind of slow tracking or pedestal movement.

Nice idea for a crane though.
Paul Nguyen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques