Anyone use Dual Layer DVDs for content delivery at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 27th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone use Dual Layer DVDs for content delivery

I've been thinking about writing my 2 hour wedding videos on Dual Layer DVDs instead of the normal 4.7 gig ones. Has or anyone using Dual Layer discs, and how is the video quality? I would think with the added storage capacity, I won't have to compress the video as much and can get all the footage including all the bonus videos all on one disc.
Josh Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Green View Post
I've been thinking about writing my 2 hour wedding videos on Dual Layer DVDs instead of the normal 4.7 gig ones. Has or anyone using Dual Layer discs, and how is the video quality? I would think with the added storage capacity, I won't have to compress the video as much and can get all the footage including all the bonus videos all on one disc.
I don't use DL for delivery, but in my experiance I find the clients like the two disc set better anyways. It seems more like a real movie. I put the ceremony and receiving line on one disc and the dance, toasts, etc on the second disc. Also, the DVD-R are more compatible since not all home players can play DL discs.

Grant
Grant Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 08:42 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I Do

I use them and have not had any problems. But if you do use them I would buy the best (Verbetum Data life plus). I cannot vouch for any other brand.
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:22 AM   #4
Major Player

I use DL all of the time. I use 1 DL for the Ceremony Disc, and 1 DL for the Reception Disc. It allows me to give a higher Bit Rate for both projects.

Keep in mind, you will need to set break points so that the client does not see a DL break point in a spot you did not want.

I have had only 1 DL dvd come back out of 100, and it was because their DVD player would not play it. They purchased a new Player.

DL just allows me to export at an 8.7mb bit rate for sd dvd's, instead of 2.0 in some cases.
Jim Fields is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques