DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   WEVA Expo: Worth it or not? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/90437-weva-expo-worth-not.html)

Travis Cossel April 2nd, 2007 09:57 PM

Mark, I just ordered the "Art of" DVD's on your website. I couldn't afford to do WEVA this year, but I'm looking forward to learning from your DVD's!

Mark Von Lanken April 2nd, 2007 11:49 PM

Hi Travis,

I really wasn't trying to sell you something, just answer your questions about WEVA, but non-the-less, thanks for your order. We have received great reviews on "The Art Of" Combo Pack.

Victor Kellar April 3rd, 2007 07:11 AM

I become envious when reading posts about people who have connected with other videographers in their areas and found them to be mutually beneficial ...

Here in Toronto (at least in the specific market I work in) the only thing I get out of my contacts with other wedding pros is them trying to steal my ideas and/or my business ...

Man, I'm glad I'm getting out of this end of the biz

Travis Cossel April 3rd, 2007 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken (Post 653046)
Hi Travis,

I really wasn't trying to sell you something, just answer your questions about WEVA, but non-the-less, thanks for your order. We have received great reviews on "The Art Of" Combo Pack.

Oh, I know. You didn't even mention your products. I'd actually looked at them before anyways. I mostly got them because my assistant can learn from them, which is something I couldn't afford to do with the Expo.

Travis Cossel April 3rd, 2007 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Kellar (Post 653120)
I become envious when reading posts about people who have connected with other videographers in their areas and found them to be mutually beneficial ...

Here in Toronto (at least in the specific market I work in) the only thing I get out of my contacts with other wedding pros is them trying to steal my ideas and/or my business ...

Man, I'm glad I'm getting out of this end of the biz

Sorry to hear that. It's about the same here. We have a very high turnover rate with videography businesses, so every year there's a half dozen new companies undercutting the few established companies. Makes business tough.

Jenny Lehman April 4th, 2007 02:26 PM

I agree with Mark Von Lanken. I have attended all 16 WEVA Expos and will be at the 17th this August at Ballys. It is hands down the best investment you can make in your business.

Last year they had over 70 vendors in the trade show and 70 seminars.

Most major vendors are there at the trade show, including Mac. Apple had a large space with about a dozen laptops giving ongoing seminars scheduled thought the trade show days. You do need to sign up for them quickly as they are always full.

I met a videographer at the Expo who starting wedding coverage was $700. After attending their first Expo and some coaching from me, now starts at $3700. Not a bad return on their investment.

Jason Robinson April 4th, 2007 03:17 PM

The difference...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenny Lehman (Post 653873)
I met a videographer at the Expo who starting wedding coverage was $700. After attending their first Expo and some coaching from me, now starts at $3700. Not a bad return on their investment.

I just bumped up to $1000 for my starting product (was ~$700) and had my first web referral client (they found me via a free add placement at a major vender web site) inquire and run away when I mentioned the price.

I booked gigs when I was the under priced new guy but after doing this for 2 years (almost) I figured my prices had to increase to get more than $10 / hr. So I guess I need to lower them again in order to book something. Travis is right, Boise seems to be wide open but actually has pretty stiff competition. I booked all of my customers because they couldn't afford the normal production businesses and did not place a priority on video. With out the cut rate I charged they would have had no video coverage so I guess I should focus on that segment of the market, since no one is serving it (that I know of).

Jason Robinson

Travis Cossel April 4th, 2007 03:24 PM

Yeah, Boise is a tough sell market, even if you're priced low. Most brides aren't even looking for a videographer, and those that do want the works for $500. It's pretty crazy.

I'm working as hard as I can to change that mindset in the market, but it's definitely difficult.