What do you tell '07 clients about shooting HD? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 6th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #16
Major Player

We determine the best camera solution for each wedding/event, if HD cameras are available. The only issue with shooting HD and then downconverting is the 16x9 versus 4:3. Most clients do not mind the black bars at the bottom and top. We always let the client know that we are shooting with HD cam and ask if 16X9 is a problem. We do not off HD to people who do not chose it first even though its available.

I had one couple ask for HD after the fact. I told them there would be a significant cost due to the fact that I would have to re-edit.

Jon
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Omiatek View Post
I told them there would be a significant cost due to the fact that I would have to re-edit.
Why would you have to re-edit? Don't you save your projects? Even if you deleted the media from your hard drive, you should be able to open the project, and recapture in HDV. Render all your effects and you are good to export for DVD production.

Any half decent NLE should let you do this...
Old April 8th, 2007, 04:19 PM   #18
Major Player

For NON-HD clients where we shot in HDV, we downcovert on capture. Yes, it would definately be possible to re-edit if we used our NLE to downcovert versus the camera.

Although, it might be a good test to capture the footage in HDV, convert to cineform and see if things match up.

Jon
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 10:37 PM   #19
Inner Circle

I shoot almost everything in HD now and am moving toward doing all the editing in HD also, so the main issue is whether someone wants to pay extra to get an actual HD disc. Once I have the workflow pinned down that's something which could be decided at any point along the way, and you could even invite couples over to your studio to see the difference for themselves. If they don't want to pay for HD just store the HD master on a hard drive for demo purposes and don't bother with burning the HD disc. On the off chance someone comes back later for HD, then charge them the upgrade fee at that time.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
it's like pulling teeth to get brides here to book.
No kidding. Just had a tire kicker call in asking for prices. That was what she was most interested in so I just threw out a number (I don't have packages, it all depends on what she wants in the movie) and she did the "Ok thanks" bit and hung up.

Fin by me I suppose. I haven't had too many of those calls because I used to have prices that were 1/2 everyone else in Boise and they knew it. But now that I raised them it seems to be harder....

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Jason, that's because most of the brides here are uneducated when it comes to video. They tend to think anyone with a camera can do the same job . . not true at all . . but they don't realize that.
Old April 9th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Jason, that's because most of the brides here are uneducated when it comes to video. They tend to think anyone with a camera can do the same job . . not true at all . . but they don't realize that.
Travis, i think that applies for pretty much every bride's attitude to what we do..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #23
Major Player

I do everything in HD knowing that brides aren't ready for it, but also knowing that I won't need to upgrade in the future. I've been shooting SD for five years without owning my own gear. Now I own my gear and went for HD. If I found myself in the industry with SD gear, I wouldn't sell it for HD yet.

As far as pricing, I don't charge more because it's all I do. I'm letting my work speak for me, and I'm anticipating that every year I'll be able to raise my rates to meet the demand.
Old April 14th, 2007, 08:25 AM   #24
Major Player

Patrick.

I have HDV cams (FX1s) but only deliver in SD. I have not marketed in HD yet and none are asking. I'm sure if I start selling it, people would buy. But I have yet to pin down the workflow for SDE production (which is an integral part of our work).

I haven't worked out the pricing structure too.

Jason
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 08:33 AM   #25
Still Motion

Jason,

I know what you mean about SDE. I have a couple clients who want HD and a SDE, s the current plan is to cut it and shot it in HD. IT will be great in the end, just adds to the stres sof putting it all together. I think I'm going to offer HD as an upgrade but hopefully only get 3-4 people to go for it to test it out.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Pat, a dual core pentium with Vega 7 and Magic Bullet 2 willl give you faster than realtime rendering in HDV

ANother option is to capture as DV for the SDE, then later onin post, remove teh SD files, open the project and let the application rebuild the edit by asking to "recaptrue" the footage.. u then capture it as HDV and teh project rebuilds itslef based on timecode..
I know premiere, edius and vegas do this. Liquid has some issues (due to databasing) but mostely it works..
Im sure FCP would also do this..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 07:00 PM   #27
Still Motion

I'm all mac and FCP, so I need to find a solution that works that way. Problem is the firestore won't record to SD while the camera is recording to HD, so I have to choose one or the other. The other option would be to capture and downconvert but the firestore just saves so much time I would prefer to edit HDV and show it that way over capturing in real time.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques