DVD Printing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 6th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #1
Major Player

DVD Printing

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread. I run a Mac system with FCP and DVDSP. We produce roughly 1000 DVD's per month. Currently I am still using stick on NEATO labels for the DVDs. I looked at the new microboards GX-1 but was told by their tech support that my output is more than the GX-1 is designed for. They recommended the Print Factory but that is a PC only model. What are you using for your mac system to design and print direct to DVD?

Jonathan Schwartz
Owner, CA Video Productions
Jonathan Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 03:54 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Jonathan,

Not sure if it's okay for me to do this (post links to vendors), but here's one you might consider for the Mac platform.

http://dvcreators.net/primera-dvd-duplicator

Also, B&H carries a wide range of duplicators for the mac platform. I would think some could handle the quantity you're talking about.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Sorry, I haven't used any of these models but would be interested in hearing from others on this topic too. How many DVDs will a SuperDrive burn before it croaks? How do you factor this "wear and tear" into your product price when burning a large order?

Thanks,

Bill Anciaux
Old April 7th, 2007, 07:39 AM   #3
Still Motion

I had the GX1 with my mac and had nothing but problems with poor print quality, alignment that wouldn't work etc. I now have a primera Bravo SE and it works great, although it is for smaller runs than what you do. I would look for something from primera though as they do have mac support for many of their printers and they seem to work much much better than microboards.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 01:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I too have a Bravo 2, and I actually use it with a 4 year old PC stuck over in the corner. the PC software it came with is much easier to use than creating a disc template in Photoshop and attaching it to the disc on my mac (I also wanted to find something for my old PC to do since I spent weeks of time modding the case 4 years ago). The primera system is great, but the ink is freaking expensive, and I would not suggest trying to refill the cartridges. 37 bucks for a new color cartridge that lasts somewhere around 80-100 discs is not the best life, and makes your cost go way up. With your print volume I would seriously look into a system that does thermal printing (I have heard of people having awesome results with Rimage). You will burn up a bravo or any other entry level duplicator in the first year with your level of output. Check with ProAction Media, they are who I use for all of my media and duplication projects.
www.bandwagonhd.com
Timothy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #5
Still Motion

For injet printers, Primera is right at the top with cost per disc in terms of ink. I am very happy with the value and quality out of my Bravo SE. I would agree that athermal is probably better with high quantities.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 02:20 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Schwartz View Post
Currently I am still using stick on NEATO labels for the DVDs.
Gack! That's horrible. I'm glad you're changing. Stick-on labels are the worst for their (lack of) fit and they're ability to add too much thickness to the dvds....just a royal pain.

I think you're talking about some gear I'm not so sure of, but direct on disk printing is the way to go. The Epson Stylus Photo 900 I use is only for one-offs and couldn't keep up with your quantity (maybe, but fulltime), but I've been printing direct to CD/DVDs for a while and am really happy with it. It's no dye-sub or thermal printer, but it works for archive and client one-offs. There's a great print package, again not for bulk, and probably not for use with a duplicator, but it's called Disc Cover.

If you're talking about going with a duplicator that prints on the discs, then what I'm talking about may not help. But if you're talking about printing onto discs after they're burned, then I suppose that's different and Disc Cover may help. It will certainly, when used w/ a print-on disc printer, work nicely.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques