The Rationale of an SDE - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 16th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #16
Major Player

I'm sold on the love story idea -- taking a bunch of footage on a 'date night' and having it ready to finish with some ceremony shots at the wedding. If the couple likes doing something like swing dancing or motorcycling, or carnival rides you could come away with some very fun and challenging shots.

I also like the idea of couples sharing how they met -- those can be inspiring to singles in the crowd. You just might help someone out!
Old April 16th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury View Post
I'm sold on the love story idea -- taking a bunch of footage on a 'date night' and having it ready to finish with some ceremony shots at the wedding. If the couple likes doing something like swing dancing or motorcycling, or carnival rides you could come away with some very fun and challenging shots.

I also like the idea of couples sharing how they met -- those can be inspiring to singles in the crowd. You just might help someone out!
This is what I plan to offer next year. It seems like it might possibly be a bigger hit with the guests than an SDE since many of them will have already been a part of the ceremony, but won't know how the couple met or what they like to do together. It's also hard to not get sucked in by hearing an interview with the couple. So until SDE's make financial sense for me, I'm probably going to stick with love stories and just keep admiring Jason's work, lol.
Old April 16th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Holland View Post
Jerome,

I assume you get a premium for the SDE. Without me asking too personal of a question, how much more would you say the SDE demands over your normal fee? (30%, 50%, 100%, etc.)

Thanks,

Mark
Just go to my site and see my prices... www.jcdv.com Basically I'm one of the highest priced in my "area". Charging $600 for SDE (actually SDT "Same Day Trailer" with photo montage.)

You'll have to choose a package without an addon included to see the price....
Old April 17th, 2007, 01:15 AM   #19
Trustee

I worked for a guy for about 5 years that did SDE frequently. We worked this way.

I shot the mobile camera during the ceremony because of my stabilized monopod. I usually shot bride OTS to get the groom's vows then moved to the aisle to get the rings and the kiss then walked backwards down the aisle to catch the recessional. We usually stayed to get the signing, but would leave if they wanted to do lots of pictures before getting in the limo. You just can't wait 45 minutes for photography if you are doing a SDE. In the beginning, we drove separately and he would go back to the shop and do the editing.

It almost always takes 2.5 hours. In Hawaii, there is almost always 1.5 hours between the very end of the ceremony and the entrance of the wedding party into the ballroom. There are usually cocktails served to the guests between ceremony and reception at a hotel ballroom. Dinner is usually at least 1.5 hours. This leaves at least 3 hours for editing and transportation.

Of course, while he would be editing, I would shoot the beginning of the reception. Sometimes we had a third person to help move equipment because the guy I worked with also was often the DJ. Actually, I should say VJ since we set up a projector for the SDE and to show video disco. That's a lot of equipment to set up.

The SDE was almost always done before the buffet closed so everyone got to eat and we would usually set up a second camera to shoot the special reception events. It's fairly easy to shoot up to dinner with one camera.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 02:05 AM   #20
Major Player

Jason.....imo, you don't need to explain anything, your work rocks....period, if someone needs explaining of why your work looks so good in such a short time......I doubt they would ever understand anyway!

I also do SDE's.....and they are damn good too, and not cheap!

For me....I only offer SDE's to clients who have a buffer of atleast 2 1/2 hrs from the end of ceremony until the piece will be aired.....but thats me. I do like the pressure of pulling them off....in a very creative way....a sick pleasure I supose.

Keep up the great work on the SDE's......and keep raising the bar.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 08:01 AM   #21
Inner Circle

The rationale...

hmm...

for business.. good... for potential future clients.. also good..
IF and ONLY IF the clients are willing to accomodate the requirements and PAY for it accordingly..

SDE's are always fine and dandy for the "wow factor"

the negative... well put it this way.. first of all, u have to find a client whos willing to pay for this..
In many markets this just isnt possible.. for many areas, its difficult enough to sell video as it is, let alone an upgrade to include an SDE..

theres also the issue of being considered pretentious and ostentatious.. for many markets, the discretion of what we do and having the ability to pull it off is offset by this kind of ostentatious display.

I for one am embaressed when we present slideshows or preshoots, or SDE's... Why?
Because my primary role is to archive the day in a discrete manner, not show off what i can do.
Fair enough the story is about the client, but as its already fresh in the punters minds, theres no point in rehashing a story theve just experienced not too long ago.. so there has to be a catch to make that story stand out....
So whats the catch of an SDE?
The answer is "wow factor"
And unfortunately, thats all there is to it...

In many cases, potential clients will see how one conducts themselves on the day, and will book based on what theyve seen of you.

To me, what i do on the day sells me, what im capable of sells itself...

I dont say no to an SDE, but i also dont need it to get clients, so i dont push it. Like i said, an SDE is wow factor...

There is a market for everything, and if u can tap into the higher end market, all the power to you, but in some places, its just not a feasable option, so theres no point in flogging a dead horse.
Put it this way.. here in Aus, average goin price is between 2500 and 3grand and to sell THAT is nigh on impossible unless youve got something up your sleave. An SDE will put at least 800 on that and in my experience, people are just not prepared to pay for that.. not here anyway..

Shame really, coz wow factor is always fun..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 08:54 AM   #22
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Allen Rosenberger View Post
I also do SDE's.....and they are damn good too, and not cheap!
Hi Joe,

Sorry to take this off-topid, but I don't think I've seen any of your work. Wondering if you could share an SDE or a highlights?

Thanks

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #23
Major Player

I'm not seeing where it needs to cost that much more. STEs free up my week and give me exposure while costing me some extra hustle. I should be in better shape anyway! ;o) The biggest negative for me is how perfectionistic I am, but even that turns into a positive in that I cannot spend hours on some little detail that eats away my margin.

The only reason I only do linear SDEs is the cost of Firestores.
Old April 17th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Allen Rosenberger View Post
Jason.....imo, you don't need to explain anything, your work rocks....period, if someone needs explaining of why your work looks so good in such a short time......I doubt they would ever understand anyway!
I want to clarify that this thread IS about asking Jason questions like "how he does such quality work in a short time". Assuming that asking the question means I won't understand the answer is stupid on your part. Let's show some professional respect here.

And for the record, wedding markets are different everywhere. Maybe in your market and Jason's market it is customary to have several hours between the ceremony and the reception, but it's not like that everywhere. So for those of us that live in a market where we have 30 minutes to pack up our gear and drive to the reception and start filming again, it was a mystery as to how you could pull off an SDE. THAT is why asking questions is a GOOD idea. Thank you.
Old April 17th, 2007, 09:48 PM   #25
Major Player

I know you videographers are busy during the wedding day, I know your job is to not only capture images but keep your clients engaged and to make them feel like you are a part of the day which results in more intimate footage.

That's why you should hire a freelance editor like me to cut you SDEs. I meet you at the church,you drop off the tape, go do your photo session (around here, that is usually an hour or so due to the traffic and locations used) and I will meet you at the Hall and drop off the DVD with the SLE which will wow your audience during the Couple's entrance and create a real feeling of excietment

Um .. that wasn't too self promotional was it?
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #26
Major Player

Here in Tulsa, the reception immediately follows the ceremony. We don't have 2-3 hours of down time. We don't usually even have a cocktail hour.

All of our receptions are covered with two cameras, so what we do is hire a third person for SDE's. Depending on the circumstances we will either have him, Jason or my son Matt, come for the ceremony so Trisha can edit during that time. Or other times, the third person comes towards the end of the ceremony so they can help us load gear and rush to the reception.

If you only need one shooter for the reception, it would make the process easier, as long as you can count on that one shooter.

We just did a SDE last weekend. Trisha and I were subcontracted to do just the SDE, as the company that hired us shot for the full day wedding coverage.

Here is how it came off. We shot our establishing and prep shots and loaded them in before the ceremony started. By the time the ceremony was over, Trisha had all of the prep done and was ready for the ceremony footage. The edit was done about 2:15 after the ceremony. It wasn't shown for another 45 minutes, but in that time we made the DVD and duplicated 200 discs as party favors.

We are not especially fast editors. It is a challenge to be technically solid, while at the same time being creative, under a set time restriction, but it is possible. Where there is a will, there is a way.
Old April 18th, 2007, 07:20 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken View Post
Here is how it came off. We shot our establishing and prep shots and loaded them in before the ceremony started. By the time the ceremony was over, Trisha had all of the prep done and was ready for the ceremony footage. The edit was done about 2:15 after the ceremony. It wasn't shown for another 45 minutes, but in that time we made the DVD and duplicated 200 discs as party favors.
Mark, are you using a DTE device?
Old April 18th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken View Post
We are not especially fast editors. It is a challenge to be technically solid, while at the same time being creative, under a set time restriction, but it is possible. Where there is a will, there is a way.
I hear you. It's definitely possible for me to do an SDE. In fact, I've one already.

At this point, though, I think I'd rather present a love story video. I know and SDE would "wow" people as Peter mentioned, and I believe it, but I think a love story video could be just as effective. Actually, I think it could be more effective.

First, I have more time to plan, shoot and edit it, which means it will be more polished (face it, we can't all be Jason, lol).

Second, I think it's more engaging for the guests to learn about how the couple met and what their first date was like and where they first kissed and how he proposed . . than it is to relive moments from the wedding day . . especially since most of the guests will have been at the ceremony anyways.

Finally, it's less stressful for me on the wedding day, and also less expensive from an investment perspective.

That's not to say I won't ever do more SDE's, but I'm not going to push them just yet. And thank you, Jason, for starting this thread (sorry it seems to keep veering offtopic).
Old April 19th, 2007, 07:30 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Cloninger View Post
Mark, are you using a DTE device?
Hi Jerome,

We had an nNovia drive on the front camera, which had the grooms wireless.

I tested the nNovia with the Z1 and it worked fine, but on the day of the wedding the nNovia would not transfer the files, so we had to capture from the front cameras tape.

This is the first time in three years that the nNovia has failed me. Now to figure out why.
Old April 19th, 2007, 07:48 AM   #30
Major Player

Hi Travis,

I didn't know you had already done a SDE. Congratulations!

Love Stories can be great to show at the reception. We have shown dozens of Love Stories at receptions. While our Love Story projections have been well received, they do not receive the same response as a SDE. Love Stories receive applause, SDEs get standing O's.

Even though the guest just came from the weddings, they did not view the ceremony from various angles and through our creative eyes. Most of the time they did not see the tear roll down the Brides face or even hear the vows. Hearing the emotion in the B&Gs voices is an incredible thing to experience, and many people have no idea what that is like until they experience the SDE.

A majority of people have not seen a good wedding video and showing a SDE exposes hundreds of people to good wedding videography.

SDE's are not for everyone. There are good and bad things about SDE's and you are totally right. SDE's are much more stressful than Love Stories.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques