Let There Be Light... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 26th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #1
New Boot

Let There Be Light...

So I've decided on the dimmable 35 watt Cool Lux with a soft box to light receptions, but what kind of power should I get? Battery belts, fanny packs, shoulder packs? What lasts the longest? Someone help me, please.
Mark Noissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #2
Inner Circle

well, it depends. how's that for definitive? ;-)

I have an old Bescor that I run a 35W bulb in for 2ndary light (and backup in case my anton Bauer breaks) but when I ran it as my #1 light I used both a belt and a juice box. Here's what i got for run times. The belt would carry it for about 3 hours and the juice box about 90 minutes with the 35W bulb. Of course YMMV. The both are leadacid type batteries but they holda charge very well, I could charge them overnight and be ready to go however the belt is pretty heavy and the juice box is a little heavy also. Obviously the belt will power longer but is also more money.
For me when I DO end up using them as a primary light I start with the belt and if need be I go to the box. I suppose I COULD put the box into a fanny pak to make it a bit easier but never have.
No real answer just my experience with both a battery belt and juice box battery.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #3
Major Player

A few years ago I purchased a 12v sealed lead-acid battery belt from Bescor. I never was real happy with it because of weight, but it got the job done. I could go the better part of a reception with it, and can now do an entire reception after switching the lamp on my mini-cool cool-lux to 10 watt. Those replacement lamps you can buy at hardware stores (the ones with two little wire contacts) are a perfect fit.

I never used the thing regularly (and still don't) so I ruined the battery by not keeping it fully charged. Lead-acids need to be kept charged, and they can hold a reasonable charge for a few months. Really annoyed me because the belt and battery kit cost around $120 at B&H. Then I found a local industrial battery outlet. Bought a new replacement for less than $25. Enter new discovery ... I paid over $100 for a cheap nylon belt and battery bag (worth less than $5.00) and a battery worth $25.00 when I could have put the whole thing together with a visit to the industrial battery outlet, a military surplus or outdoor adventure store and Radio Shack for maybe $50!

I'd like to find a similar battery that, when it is "hiding" under my jacket I don't feel like I look as if I have an out of control tumor on my hip.

So, while I only have a few complaints, and no manufacturer seems to have just exactly what I want, I'll put myself to sleep with the idea of what could I do that fits me better? After a few weeks of this routine my dreams somehow allow me to figure out how I can make my own solution.
Old April 26th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldemar Winkler View Post
A few years ago I purchased a 12v sealed lead-acid battery belt from Bescor. I never was real happy with it because of weight, but it got the job done. I could go the better part of a reception with it, and can now do an entire reception after switching the lamp on my mini-cool cool-lux to 10 watt. Those replacement lamps you can buy at hardware stores (the ones with two little wire contacts) are a perfect fit.

I never used the thing regularly (and still don't) so I ruined the battery by not keeping it fully charged. Lead-acids need to be kept charged, and they can hold a reasonable charge for a few months. Really annoyed me because the belt and battery kit cost around $120 at B&H. Then I found a local industrial battery outlet. Bought a new replacement for less than $25. Enter new discovery ... I paid over $100 for a cheap nylon belt and battery bag (worth less than $5.00) and a battery worth $25.00 when I could have put the whole thing together with a visit to the industrial battery outlet, a military surplus or outdoor adventure store and Radio Shack for maybe $50!

I'd like to find a similar battery that, when it is "hiding" under my jacket I don't feel like I look as if I have an out of control tumor on my hip.

So, while I only have a few complaints, and no manufacturer seems to have just exactly what I want, I'll put myself to sleep with the idea of what could I do that fits me better? After a few weeks of this routine my dreams somehow allow me to figure out how I can make my own solution.

Wald, try www.powersonic.com, they have lots of batteries.

GL-Joe
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Allen Rosenberger View Post
Wald, try www.powersonic.com, they have lots of batteries.

GL-Joe
Thanks for the link. I'll place a call.
Old April 27th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #6
Trustee

Get a big battery bandolier so you can look like Chewbacca.

OR

Try batteryspace.com for all sorts of affordable battery options. They even have a section for video lights (waist pack variety). Their NiMH packs are about the cost of most lead-acid kind at half the weight. Look for the AH (Amp-Hour) rating to compare batteries and look at the weight. NiMH is much lighter and not too expensive anymore. They even have lithium packs, but they are expensive. I have not shopped there yet, so I don't know the quality of their customer service. Regardless, it looks like they know their stuff.

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...S&Category=907
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques