3D photo montage - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 1st, 2007, 09:18 AM   #16
Major Player

possible suggestion: ask clients for 'exactly 30 photos' for example, then just resize and replace all the photos in your AE animation..that shouldn't take too long at all and you still get mega $$$!
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:30 AM   #17
Trustee

Dang, Richard, if I were still young like you, I wouldn't need you to fix my brain. That's a great suggestion!

You know how to replace footage like that? Took me forever to find out:

Alt drag footage onto an existing layer, and it replaces just the footage, and all keyframes stay the same.
Vito DeFilippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:35 AM   #18
Major Player

LOL! is 28 young? cheers matey

i haven't tried that method - is that as quick as right clicking on each photo in the media list, and 'replacing' with your new photo? cheers, there's always something new to learn with AE!
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:47 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield View Post
LOL! is 28 young? cheers matey
If you try and tell me that 28 is old, I will personally fly to England and smack you in the head with one of my 1-year-old son's milk bottles...

Quote:
i haven't tried that method - is that as quick as right clicking on each photo in the media list, and 'replacing' with your new photo?
Either one works. Depends on how you want to work, I guess.

Quote:
cheers, there's always something new to learn with AE!
Tell me about it...
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:49 AM   #20
New Boot

I thought the montage was really nice, thank you for sharing the clip. Any tips on how you set up a project like this an AE.
Shaftone Dunklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 12:04 PM   #21
Trustee

I got the idea from a few tutorials floating around the web. It's a pretty common montage techniques, I think.

This one explains the concept very well:

http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/forum/in...hreaded&start=

I had a third wall, and added a few more wrinkles, but the tutorial gets you going.
Old May 1st, 2007, 12:08 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
This particular client just got lucky I wanted to practice a bit in AE.
Yeah... I "practiced" once. I think I spent a month in AE my first time just "practicing" and only stopped long enough to sober up for a client meeting.

It does get easier and the results really bring life to still images but geez... when one bride sees it they all want something similar. I finally quit showing the stuff and just encourage my clients to get uncle Bob to do a powerpoint or something.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 12:08 PM   #23
New Boot

Thanks a lot.
Shaftone Dunklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 12:17 PM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Steele View Post
Yeah... I "practiced" once. I think I spent a month in AE my first time just "practicing" and only stopped long enough to sober up for a client meeting.
I know what you mean. But really, I could 'practice' on my own time for nothing, or at least get paid a little doing something special for a client here and there. It's a technique I wanted to get better at anyway....

Quote:
It does get easier and the results really bring life to still images but geez...
Yeah. I find working in AE about as fun as going to the dentist. It's just incredibly tedious. You really have to enjoy animation (which I don't) to want to work a lot in AE.

Quote:
when one bride sees it they all want something similar. I finally quit showing the stuff and just encourage my clients to get uncle Bob to do a powerpoint or something.
You think it's impossible to charge a realistic price for it? I think I would charge min $300CAN for the montage I did, including time spent working in Photoshop and scanning. With a full wedding video, a quick montage on the timeline is another story. Takes maybe two hours tops of my time, including scanning and Photoshop. This thing in AE took five times that.

I don't see many brides going for it...
Old May 4th, 2007, 09:01 AM   #25
Tourist

3d montage

May be a dumb question, but what did you use to make that? It's really cool. I usually use imovie and have some themes, but that's really neat.

If I were to use that, I'd probably start the montage out with that and then go into a more traditional montage. Or ending with it would be effective. I'd use it as an effect. That's just me.

And while we're at it, waht do you consider to be the best programs for making montages in general? Imovie is juvenile, but I have a ton of bells and whistles, and since I do mostly bat mitzvahs, it's what I need.

Last edited by Kevin Ginsberg; May 4th, 2007 at 09:06 AM. Reason: thought of another question
Kevin Ginsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #26
Trustee

Hi,

I used After Effects.

Usually I do montages in my video editing program with basic animation. I use Avid Xpress Pro usually.

I don't know any programs that are designed for just doing montages. If you started a new thread with that question, you might get some input from others that use programs like that.

Ciao,
Vito
Vito DeFilippo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques