60sec Love Story Trailer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 7th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #1
Still Motion

60sec Love Story Trailer

Many of us now offer trailers for the couples main video and I think it has generally been a pretty big success. For us, Love Stories are pretty popular and we are filming quit a few this year. We just filmed one with a couple that had an amazing engagement story and then rented a vintage Vespa scooter for their shoot, so we really wanted to spend some extra time making this one special.

Since their wedding is so far away, I decided to do a trailer for their love story to see how that would go over. The idea was to use shots that Iwouldn't use in their main love story as much to avoid repetition. You'll notice I have several shots witht he photographers in there and lots of kissing shots as those are something I seemed to have a lot of, so it was a perfect way to use it.

Thought some others might be interested in the idea and seeing how it cam together. I'm sure the song is all too familiar though. I'll post back when I see how it goes over.

Any comments on the attempted cross-processed look would be appreciated.

Here is the link to the flash video:
http://stillmotionblog.com/?p=82

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #2
New Boot

Pat, the trailer was good, but the first one with Nadia the music was more of a war trailer like the gladiator type, but the second trailer was good with the cam moves. what kind of music was used. Also did you use any effects like 55mm plugin for the saturation effects.
Akwasi Osei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #3
Major Player

very very good, it kept me very entertained and intrigued right until the end.

IMO the only shot slightly out of place was the couple against the white background, but other than that, all very well edited against the score, and the colourising was perfect.
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 02:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I liked the color correction that looks like cross-processing of film.

For my tastes, I thought the score choice was too over-the-top, and much like a battle scene accompaniment.
James Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #5
Major Player

Patrick:

As usual looks great! I, however, like the music as it adds a little suspense to the piece. Good pacing. I would do something different with the couple with the white background clip.
Thanks,
John
John Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #6
Major Player

Good Stuffs Pat, altho I find the music a little too epic for the event, for my tastes.

Playing around with the colour was a great idea (Natress/FilmFx/MagicBullet?)? I do it all the time for my highlight reels. I thought it flowed well and didn't mind the B&W Stuffs @ all, altho perhaps to match the tone of the other footage I would prolly give it a sepia red.

Steadicam work is top notch as usual, I need to play with that Vest sometime!!!!
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I loved it. Great camera movement, powerful music, loved the look of the video. Editing was also top notch . . no complaints at all.

Out of curiosity, what stabilizer setup were you using? Did you have a small LCD monitor attached?
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #8
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akwasi Osei View Post
What kind of music was used. Also did you use any effects like 55mm plugin for the saturation effects.
I'm not sure what other trailer your referring too? We have one pretty far back in the blog, another love story trailer, which was composed by Amina, one of our main photographers.

All of the color work was done in FCP, mostly with a combination of in house filters. Some clips had quite a few stacked though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield View Post
very very good, it kept me very entertained and intrigued right until the end.

IMO the only shot slightly out of place was the couple against the white background, but other than that, all very well edited against the score, and the colourising was perfect.
Thanks Richard. I'm glad to hear you were interested all the way through as that was something I was worried about being a trailer for a love story, which doesn't have the same content value as a wedding. I was also nervouse about the colors, so I'm glad to hear you liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Klatt View Post
I liked the color correction that looks like cross-processing of film.

For my tastes, I thought the score choice was too over-the-top, and much like a battle scene accompaniment.
I know what you mean about the music but as this was something done to try out something new, I also wanted to push themusic selection a bit. I don't use music like this often so I am trying to do some more faster edits.

Patrick
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #9
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moon View Post
Patrick:
I would do something different with the couple with the white background clip.
Thanks,
John
Thanks John, I'll have to look at that again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Y Wong View Post
Playing around with the colour was a great idea (Natress/FilmFx/MagicBullet?)?
Steadicam work is top notch as usual, I need to play with that Vest sometime!!!!
You can try out the Steadicam this wekeend Michael. I'll be shooting with it all day so I'm sure you can get a chance to use it.

All color work was done in FCP with some Final cut filters and a couple after market ones as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Out of curiosity, what stabilizer setup were you using? Did you have a small LCD monitor attached?
Thanks for the kind words Travis. The clip was shot with an A1, 16x9Inc wide angle and a Steadicam Flyer. The flyer has a 7" LCD on the bottom and I used that a portion of the time, but it is hard to se in the sun, so I ended up using the onboard LCD most of the time (with an LCD shade).

Thanks for all the great responses.

Patrick
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #10
Major Player

Very funny. Thanks for the chuckle
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 02:37 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Kellar View Post
Very funny. Thanks for the chuckle
??? Funny?

Anyways, what hood are you using on the on-camera LCD screen, Patrick?
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:19 AM   #12
Inner Circle

liked it muchly.
im not on my big system just on the lappy, so im not gonna say much

some work needed on the E6 look.
To get the most out of it, you need to set up a scene file with an emphasis on certain colours. This is dependant on the environmnet ur shooting in.
U need the flattest colours as is possible without washing it out.

Also, blacks (during the shoot) need to be as high as possible so increase ur Master Ped to bring out the detail in tht balcks.. why? well these will be crushed back down once u apply your curves in post.. what yoru doing is compensating the underexposire caused by the curve blow out, In turn your recovering detail in black ,while still pushing it

Another thing i noticed was a key shot when it comes to anythign transport oriented..
Heres the thing..
if theres a scooter or a car or whatever, you jut gotta have a shot of teh couple on/in/ontop of it...
One suggestion is to hang urself out of car while a partner drives.. even 20kms an hour is fast enough and itse perfectly safe. U dint need to get out of the car. Just shoot from within an open window

THese shots u get of the couple on the road are the money shots because were seeing alot of movement and sometimes even the impossible.. (hang ur cam on a monop and hold the bugger up high.. easier if u have a sunroof on the car ur shooting from, but u can pull this off with a monopod out the window.. u can make it look as if a chopper is following them..

which brings me to the next piece..
RC Choppers instead of cranes...

but thas another thread.. ;)
Another shot is to drive afew kms up the road and get the shot as they drive by.. getting afew of tehse are great and the crowd love em.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:20 AM   #13
Still Motion

Thanks for the ideas Peter. I like the car idea with the monopod out the roof.

Travis,

I have an older petrol LCD shade, about $15 at BH. Mine is made for a 4:3 LCD but it is big enough that it fits the A1 no problem. They now made 16:9 ones for the Sony A1 that I tihink are the perfect size, just do a search on BH.

Patrick
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Peter,
can you explain what you said about having high blacks during the shoot? I begin by underexposing by a stop? And what is the process of crushing the blacks? If I have RGB levels screen in front of me, what do I do to crush the blacks ? Do i work on the scene in RGB or separate channels?

Thank you
Yev Belman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau View Post
They now made 16:9 ones for the Sony A1 that I tihink are the perfect size, just do a search on BH.
SWEEEEEEET I'm definately going to pick up one (best part is that it'll work for both my cams)!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques