First wedding shot - now the edit - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 10th, 2007, 06:06 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Steven

Thanks for the idea, the couple were ok about the missing shot in the end so no need to do that, but I will pop the idea into my bag of tricks for use if I ever need it :)
Ian Broadbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 05:09 AM   #17
Major Player

Worst thing you can encounter in wedding videos is when B+G hire you the day before the wedding and they don't want to shoot preparations. The very wedding with reception was very uneventful, B+G not very cooperative... with no proper material, it's hell to deliver at least decent looking video. And this is my first wedding. At least the picture is wonderful from JVC HD111 andsome grading. Oh well...
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Broadbent View Post
Who said Wedding videography was easy ;)
No one...

It's a pressure fest.
Old August 16th, 2007, 12:07 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Broadbent View Post

Who said Wedding videography was easy ;)

I think Uncle Fred did. :}
Old August 16th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #20
Trustee

'My worst disaster so far was plugging the line output form radio mic reciver into the headphone monitor socket. Fortunately the sound was just about still usable.'

I did that once on my irivers. When I discovered it, I immediately went out and bought a plug that I could shove in the headphone socket to block it off, so it would not happen again. When setting up the irivers now I have to remove this plug so have to consciously think about where the mic led goes.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Rain rain go away ......

The last wedding of the season (known of wedding that is) Its my neices, its a wedding present so I want to do my best. You know how it is.

The plan was to keep it in the family too. I would do the video, my nephew would act as stills guy (he gets to photograph punters at Christmas on a local farm - dont ask) , my younger brother act as second camera op (he helped out recently and didnt do too bad then so he should be ok this time) Oh and I was asked to keep the other nephew occupied lest he caused any trouble (the lest said bout that the better.

OK the rehearsal day came and I dutifully turned up even though I had worked at the church before. My twin brother - father of the bride asks - could I shoot the bride and him leaving for the church? Hmm ok I said, we will work something out there too. How many pairs of hands do I have thinks me.

On the wedding day it rains - the sort of rain you get in low flying clouds. I get permission from the verger to do the photos in the church after the service. Brother goes off to the brides house to film with an SD panasonic 3 chip camcorder. I set the HD7 up for shots of the congregation, brief nephew 1, the photog as to what he should be doing and importantly half press the shutter till it bleeps - autofocus !!

I made a cover for the HD110 from an old golf bag - see through plastic cover. It kept the camera dry but not the lens - Must remember tissues and modify the cover for the front of the camera - it kept blowing across the lens into view!!

Ok so the bride is at the doorway, no real problems so far. Couple of shots missed but its raining and I am getting wet - I was soaked through.

I set up on the tripod, remember to plug the shot gun mic in and away we go. Headphones on, why cant I hear the booming voice of the vicar in both ears??? drat - phantom power - I shot a talk with the wireless mic in that socket - no phantom power on that - line in setting only. Reached round and switched that in. Fortunately just during a pause so I can work round it in post. Ok first hymn nearl over. Orange cast in the LCD picture - drat forgot White Balance, quick switch.... still same... drat I set the outdoor wb over the indoor one. No choice but to reset, vicars cassock was white, check bro was recording something ... reset, re-compose... phew,

Service over, couple process down the aisle and the verger routes them back into the church for the photographs. Good - plans working, I set my camera up to record the fun. The nephew lost his nerve so I ended up taking the stills myself with younger brother operating the hd110. His shots were not the best, plenty of headroom.

I have a recovery plan fortunately, the stills will come in handy on the video heheh

Sorry its a long post.

Ian
Ian Broadbent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques