24f/24p for a wedding? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 4th, 2007, 08:51 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Broadbent View Post
Closest I get is 25p - Oh I am in PAL land, its all I get with my JVC HD110 ;) No real point in 24p here lol

Works for me, sorry for the pointless post

Ian
Ian are you shooting HDV or DV? You'll get 24p if you want it in HDV but not DV with the HD110. Though for what its worth 25p looks just as good.

Are u liking the HD100 for wedding recording? I've thought of doing it using a Firestore. Still not sure.

Drew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Foo View Post
With regards to the XH-A1, I don't believe you can mix 1080 60i and 24f interchangeably on the same tape.
You can. FCS 2 captures it as second cut even if it is set not to.

I have learned that A. It is not worth shooting in 2 separate modes because it is a PITA to deal with in Post. I have 2 frame rates on my Intro video and I had to either chop the 60i down to 24f or the other way around. The 60i > looked bad. I was initially worried that the 24F would look bad in 50% slow mo but it doesn't

Next wedding it is all going to be in 24F.
Ryan Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I shoot in 24p on DVX100As and edit in Vegas. Very 24p-friendly. Love it.
Jon Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 11:22 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hough View Post
You can. FCS 2 captures it as second cut even if it is set not to.

I have learned that A. It is not worth shooting in 2 separate modes because it is a PITA to deal with in Post. I have 2 frame rates on my Intro video and I had to either chop the 60i down to 24f or the other way around. The 60i > looked bad. I was initially worried that the 24F would look bad in 50% slow mo but it doesn't

Next wedding it is all going to be in 24F.
Did the 60i look bad because you chopped it down to 24f? or just looked bad in general?
Steve Montoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Montoto View Post
Did the 60i look bad because you chopped it down to 24f? or just looked bad in general?
When I took the 60i down to 24 in a 24 timeline in FCS2 it was bad. It was unwatchable!
I just finished up another Quick Wedding video of the same wedding and used all 24f and it renders much faster than having the 2 mixed. Like HOURS faster. I won't shoot another wedding in 60i. The 24 looks really good. I will post the video soon. It looks more cinematic than the previous one I posted.
Ryan Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I'm editing the two 24fps weddings I did last month and so far I am very impressed with the product. I just finished up a preparation highlight and it looks great. I'll try to get it up soon to be critiqued.
Nicholas Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 02:28 PM   #22
Major Player

24p / 25p Wedding Shutter Speed

What do you use? I have been using my DVC30 in field mode at a shutter speed of 1\25 (I use PAL) and love the look. Where I am weddings are almost always at night so the low shutter speed helps keep the gain down.

Recently I bought a used DVX100 and will use this as my primary camera with the DVC30 relegated to secondary. In intend to edit both sets of footage on the same timeline (PPro) and want to end up with progressive footage (I know I'll have to process the DVC footage).

I'm now trying to decide on shutter speeds for both cameras and whether to go Frame mode on the DVC30 or keep it Field I'm going for the film look so want the DVX on 25p. The alternatives I have come up with are the following:

DVX 25p, Shutter speed - 1\25
DVC Field, Shutter speed - 1\25
As far as I understand it the above will keep initial resolution on the DVC plus match low-light friendly shutter speeds.

or as above but shutter speeds at 1\50, then of course I could go Frame on the DVC...

Basically I want to end up with low-light friendly settings which produce silmilar film-like footage that can be edited together. Not asking much is it...?

Anyway comments welcome, thanks

Last edited by Dan Burnap; June 12th, 2007 at 02:33 PM. Reason: repeated text at end of post
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #23
Major Player

Hey gang,

When it comes to shooting 24p slo-mo CAN be an issue. There are work-arounds but it depends on the NLE you're using.

For starters you want to work on a 24p timeline. Easy to do in Vegas (yay!) unsure about others. To shoot slo-mo you run at 60i and use 1/120 shutter speed. That'll give you a decent 60 fps once you process it and slow it down. Mind you there is some resolution loss as each of the 60 frames is only every OTHER field in the 60i. ie: frame 1=odd, frame 2=even, frame 3=odd, etc.

There's a great little video tut on dvxuser.com that covers working in a 24p timeline and I think he uses Vegas but I can't tell right now because dvxuser has gone....pppllllll.

Check it out once it's up and running. I think it's under the Vegas section.

**CONFIRMED**
It's a sticky at the top of the Vegas section of DVXUser.com

sincerely,

ian

Last edited by Ian Slessor; June 15th, 2007 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Additional info
Ian Slessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 07:31 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Anderson View Post
I shoot in 24p on DVX100As and edit in Vegas. Very 24p-friendly. Love it.
not for slowmotion under 80% though...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 08:20 AM   #25
Tourist

Have anyone try the Avid Media Composer Fluid Slow Motion Effect. I have tested a lot slow motion software I see that avid fluid slow motion are the best. Render time is not bad either. I can slow down the 60i clip to 20% and don't even see any flickering. With other software only slowdown to 50% then problem will come. But one problem if the camera guy take picture with flash then the effect will give a big flash look really funny. Avid Fluid Motion have their software patented I don't think anyone else able to copy them. Just like color correction Avid are the best in easiest to use and best interface . Fluid Slow Motion only available in avid high class suit like Media Composer and above not the Avid Express Pro.
Tommy Nguyen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques