DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   May 19th Wedding Trailer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/95336-may-19th-wedding-trailer.html)

Darrell Aubert May 29th, 2007 10:45 PM

May 19th Wedding Trailer

Hey guys. Just wanted to share a trailer I put together for my recent wedding on May 19th. Great couple, great location. Enjoy!

http://videothatlives.blogspot.com/2...at-castle.html

Monday Isa May 31st, 2007 05:15 PM

Hey Darrell,
Nice trailer. Different feel than others I've watched, but I like it over all. You shooting 16X9 now with the Canon? That reception venue was pretty nice to bro, looked gorgeous

Monday

Vincent Croce May 31st, 2007 07:19 PM

Not sure why that would be called a trailer, but overall it wasn't bad at all. If you white balanced that scene with the groom talking it would improve the look greatly, IMO. Thanks for sharing.

Darrell Aubert May 31st, 2007 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monday Isa (Post 689934)
You shooting 16X9 now with the Canon? That reception venue was pretty nice to bro, looked gorgeous

Thanks Monday. Nope shot that in 16:9 with the 170. Haven't gotten the canon yet!

Darrell Aubert May 31st, 2007 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Croce (Post 689992)
Not sure why that would be called a trailer, but overall it wasn't bad at all. If you white balanced that scene with the groom talking it would improve the look greatly, IMO. Thanks for sharing.

Not trying to be adversarial at all here but whats your reason for not classifying this as a trailer?

Also, you don't think this is white balanced?

http://www.eventdvp.com/groom.jpg

Vincent Croce May 31st, 2007 08:13 PM

A trailer is an advertisement for an upcoming film, usually excerpts of the most compelling or exciting parts of the film, with a mention that the film is 'coming soon' or something to that effect--at the least a mention of the film. That's just a definition of 'trailer'-you can call your vid a trailer if you like-no offense intended.
And no, that scene of the groom is not even close to white balanced. Didn't know you were so sensitive. I'll be sure not to comment on your work again unless it's all praise.

Darrell Aubert May 31st, 2007 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Croce (Post 690019)
Didn't know you were so sensitive. I'll be sure not to comment on your work again unless it's all praise.

Don't get the wrong idea Vincent. I'm not being overly sensitive I'm just trying to see your point. Relax man.

Patrick Moreau May 31st, 2007 08:44 PM

Hi Darrell,

It had great documentary feel to it with the use of all the natural audio and the somewhat more 'organic' camera movement at the beginning. It was a little long for my tastes being that it is a trailer, but I'm sure that one is highly subjective. I would have considered cutting down the groom's little speech there as it did seem to drag on a bit, although I'm sure the family will really love it.

Was that smooth shooter work near the middle and end or was it just the glidecam handheld? Looks like it the stabilizer footage came out pretty good considering it only has the one arm setup. I had some of the footstep motion in my footage back in my Magiqcam days, it can be very hard to eliminate unless you get a really good (ie pricey) arm.

I really enjoyed how it seemed to have your style in it, and wasn't like most trailers.

Patrick

Darrell Aubert May 31st, 2007 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau (Post 690027)
It had great documentary feel to it with the use of all the natural audio and the somewhat more 'organic' camera movement at the beginning. It was a little long for my tastes being that it is a trailer, but I'm sure that one is highly subjective. I would have considered cutting down the groom's little speech there as it did seem to drag on a bit, although I'm sure the family will really love it.

I agree on the length. I always believe shorter is better but in this case, I just couldn't pass up the groom's "special message."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau (Post 690027)
Was that smooth shooter work near the middle and end or was it just the glidecam handheld? Looks like it the stabilizer footage came out pretty good considering it only has the one arm setup. I had some of the footstep motion in my footage back in my Magiqcam days, it can be very hard to eliminate unless you get a really good (ie pricey) arm.
I really enjoyed how it seemed to have your style in it, and wasn't like most trailers.

I don't think I used the smooth shooter than night so it was all handheld GC. Over the past year I've been trying to get a more narrow depth of field by zooming in. Consequently, the footage becomes shakier. Its worth it though.
Thanks for watching!

Glen Elliott June 1st, 2007 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Croce (Post 690019)
And no, that scene of the groom is not even close to white balanced.

The shot of the groom is a bit warm but I wouldn't say it isn't balanced. If anything I think the curves adjustment may have pushed the saturation too far. Plus it was mixed lighting; groom by the window balanced for outdoor with the background light on the wall appearing overly orangy due to the daylight balance.

Was it perfectly balanced in regards to being perfectly neutral, no. But then again I don't think much of my stuff if neutral anymore. I've been working on shifting colors through cross-processing in post. The same goes with movies...there are colorists hired specifically to shift the color palette artistically. In other words maybe Darrell was going for more aesthetic than flat and neutral.

David McKnight June 6th, 2007 09:24 AM

Hey Darrell, nice meeting you and having lunch in Houston Sunday. Nice clip. My questions are going to be a little more basic - I assumed you were shooting HDV. That was shot with a PD-170?? Very nice! Was the 16 x 9 in camera or in post? And, what web encoding settings are you using? It's looks great over the web, IMO.

- David

Douglas Villalba June 6th, 2007 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrell Aubert (Post 690000)

Also, you don't think this is white balanced?

http://www.eventdvp.com/groom.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen Elliott (Post 690507)
The shot of the groom is a bit warm but I wouldn't say it isn't balanced.

I looks to me that the groom was in front of a window with sun light coming through (5,600 K more or less). There is some other light, provably on camera light. (3,200 K) If you take yellow out you introduce blue.
I like the warm tones better anyway.

Nicholas Valentine June 6th, 2007 07:43 PM

Big fan of the warm colors dude. Nice job.