May 19th Wedding Trailer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 29th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

May 19th Wedding Trailer

Hey guys. Just wanted to share a trailer I put together for my recent wedding on May 19th. Great couple, great location. Enjoy!

http://videothatlives.blogspot.com/2...at-castle.html
Old May 31st, 2007, 05:15 PM   #2
Major Player

Hey Darrell,
Nice trailer. Different feel than others I've watched, but I like it over all. You shooting 16X9 now with the Canon? That reception venue was pretty nice to bro, looked gorgeous

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:19 PM   #3
Major Player

Not sure why that would be called a trailer, but overall it wasn't bad at all. If you white balanced that scene with the groom talking it would improve the look greatly, IMO. Thanks for sharing.
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa View Post
You shooting 16X9 now with the Canon? That reception venue was pretty nice to bro, looked gorgeous
Thanks Monday. Nope shot that in 16:9 with the 170. Haven't gotten the canon yet!
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Croce View Post
Not sure why that would be called a trailer, but overall it wasn't bad at all. If you white balanced that scene with the groom talking it would improve the look greatly, IMO. Thanks for sharing.
Not trying to be adversarial at all here but whats your reason for not classifying this as a trailer?

Also, you don't think this is white balanced?

http://www.eventdvp.com/groom.jpg
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:13 PM   #6
Major Player

A trailer is an advertisement for an upcoming film, usually excerpts of the most compelling or exciting parts of the film, with a mention that the film is 'coming soon' or something to that effect--at the least a mention of the film. That's just a definition of 'trailer'-you can call your vid a trailer if you like-no offense intended.
And no, that scene of the groom is not even close to white balanced. Didn't know you were so sensitive. I'll be sure not to comment on your work again unless it's all praise.
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:19 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Didn't know you were so sensitive. I'll be sure not to comment on your work again unless it's all praise.
Don't get the wrong idea Vincent. I'm not being overly sensitive I'm just trying to see your point. Relax man.
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:44 PM   #8
Still Motion

Hi Darrell,

It had great documentary feel to it with the use of all the natural audio and the somewhat more 'organic' camera movement at the beginning. It was a little long for my tastes being that it is a trailer, but I'm sure that one is highly subjective. I would have considered cutting down the groom's little speech there as it did seem to drag on a bit, although I'm sure the family will really love it.

Was that smooth shooter work near the middle and end or was it just the glidecam handheld? Looks like it the stabilizer footage came out pretty good considering it only has the one arm setup. I had some of the footstep motion in my footage back in my Magiqcam days, it can be very hard to eliminate unless you get a really good (ie pricey) arm.

I really enjoyed how it seemed to have your style in it, and wasn't like most trailers.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 09:59 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau View Post
It had great documentary feel to it with the use of all the natural audio and the somewhat more 'organic' camera movement at the beginning. It was a little long for my tastes being that it is a trailer, but I'm sure that one is highly subjective. I would have considered cutting down the groom's little speech there as it did seem to drag on a bit, although I'm sure the family will really love it.
I agree on the length. I always believe shorter is better but in this case, I just couldn't pass up the groom's "special message."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau View Post
Was that smooth shooter work near the middle and end or was it just the glidecam handheld? Looks like it the stabilizer footage came out pretty good considering it only has the one arm setup. I had some of the footstep motion in my footage back in my Magiqcam days, it can be very hard to eliminate unless you get a really good (ie pricey) arm.
I really enjoyed how it seemed to have your style in it, and wasn't like most trailers.
I don't think I used the smooth shooter than night so it was all handheld GC. Over the past year I've been trying to get a more narrow depth of field by zooming in. Consequently, the footage becomes shakier. Its worth it though.
Thanks for watching!
Old June 1st, 2007, 04:56 PM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
And no, that scene of the groom is not even close to white balanced.
The shot of the groom is a bit warm but I wouldn't say it isn't balanced. If anything I think the curves adjustment may have pushed the saturation too far. Plus it was mixed lighting; groom by the window balanced for outdoor with the background light on the wall appearing overly orangy due to the daylight balance.

Was it perfectly balanced in regards to being perfectly neutral, no. But then again I don't think much of my stuff if neutral anymore. I've been working on shifting colors through cross-processing in post. The same goes with movies...there are colorists hired specifically to shift the color palette artistically. In other words maybe Darrell was going for more aesthetic than flat and neutral.
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:24 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Hey Darrell, nice meeting you and having lunch in Houston Sunday. Nice clip. My questions are going to be a little more basic - I assumed you were shooting HDV. That was shot with a PD-170?? Very nice! Was the 16 x 9 in camera or in post? And, what web encoding settings are you using? It's looks great over the web, IMO.

- David
David McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 10:56 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Aubert View Post

Also, you don't think this is white balanced?

http://www.eventdvp.com/groom.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott View Post
The shot of the groom is a bit warm but I wouldn't say it isn't balanced.
I looks to me that the groom was in front of a window with sun light coming through (5,600 K more or less). There is some other light, provably on camera light. (3,200 K) If you take yellow out you introduce blue.
I like the warm tones better anyway.
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Big fan of the warm colors dude. Nice job.
Nicholas Valentine is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques