Event recording, with 2 cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 12th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #1
Major Player

Event recording, with 2 cameras

I have been asked by a client... time and time again.

Can you record an event and have it ready at the very end of production.

I told him yes a dvd recorder and some fire wire cabling...

Now he ask what about 2 or more cameras, I was stumped for awhile
then I brought up a switcher (too expensive), and the

wirecast: http://www.varasoftware.com/products/wirecast/

He then griped about wiring (especially if one camera is a floater)
Plus wirecast needs a computer and 1 firebus per camera.
While this is really cheaper than a 5k live mixer he still wants to explore his options.

Does anyone know how else can 2 cameras be recorded to a dvd recorder
so after the event it can be handed to a client?
Dante Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #2
Major Player

Other than using a switcher/mixer or the Wirecast software, I haven't been able to find another way. You need some really, really expensive equipment if you want to avoid cables AND get a good video signal.

It sounds like you already know how to get the job done. Out of curiousity, how much is your client willing to pay for the project? You could put together a switcher type set up for around $800-1000 (for a decent used switcher, cables, quad splitter, TV monitor, CG, and DVD recorder) Of course you could spend a lot more. If you decide to look for a switcher, let me know. I have one in good shape for a fair price.

Wirecast has a free fully functional trial version. It'll cost you $450 for the license to get rid of the watermark that pops up in the trial version. You can get that cost down to $300 for an academic license. They suggest a separate card for each cam input. I have a laptop with only one firewire port. But I used a firewire PCI card in the available slot on my computer and used two cams with no problem that I can recall.

But again, I'd ask your client how much he is willing to spend. Anything can be done. All it takes is money.

Jeff
Jeff Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #3
Major Player

I have live webcast a few events this year with wirecast. Make sure you have enough bandwidth on the upload side of the internet connection. I would recommend uploading to a streaming provider. It's cheap and more people can watch at once.
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Have you considered going all analog up to the DVD recorder? A simple analog video switcher with even Y/C to the recorder works OK. The audio could go straight to the DVD recorder from a board feed and stay in sync, too. I would run tape in the cams as backup, though.

I experimented with this method with a single cam directly into the Y/C (s-video) of a DVD recorder. Worked fine. I think we get hung up on analog because of the generation loss when recorded compared to digital. The signal will be more affected by the amount of compression used on the DVD when it is recorded.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques