Uncompressed video (~1 hr) on DVD ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 20th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Uncompressed video (~1 hr) on DVD ?

One of my clients is asking me to videotape his wedding ceremony, ~ 1 hour and to give him the " raw" footage uncompressed on DVD ? (so he could do the editing himself) ....i'll shoot in SD with my JVC GY-HD100 ......
I use Avid Liquid 7.2 and need advice how to do this ?

I really appreciate your help.
Todd Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Well, 'uncompressed' is a tricky term. You HAVE to compress to MPEG2 to make it into a "DVD" that will play on a DVD player. So what he's asking for, isn't technically possible. Does he understand that compression is involved in transcoding between DV and MPEG2?
(One hour of DV equals approximately 13 gigs of Data - A DVD will only hold 4.7 gigs of data. Well, a dual holds twice that, but you get the picture.)
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Maybe your client could give you a FireWire drive to copy the raw files onto.

Joe
Old June 20th, 2007, 10:11 AM   #4
Major Player

You could use quicktime pro to divide up the raw video into 4 gig chunks to burn onto DVD's but that would be some work. I think that would average out to about 3 data DVD's per hour of footage. I agree with the hard drive transfer for ease. Be careful with file size limitations(4 gigs) using Fat32 formatted drives. I had a bad experience with it.
Jonathan Bufkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #5
Trustee

It'll be 3 DVD's , maybe 4; one hour would be around 13 Gb of AVI (if you'll shoot in SD), then during capture split the raw footage in 3 parts and put those AVI's on DVD's as data files, do not render to MPEG;
I'm not sure if they'll be able to play those even on newer DVD players that play any file format, but they can watch those on computer, and what's most important you'll deliver to the client editable raw footage of the event without loosing any qulity.
Cheers.
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #6
Regular Crew

uncompressed or DV codec

Does he truly want uncompressed Avi or compressed using the DV codec.
DV codec avi is about 13GB per hour. True uncompressed is like 1GB per minute.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

thanks
Jim
Jim Bucciferro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 11:37 AM   #7
Trustee

Possible but annoying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Evans View Post
One of my clients is asking me to videotape his wedding ceremony, ~ 1 hour and to give him the " raw" footage uncompressed on DVD ? (so he could do the editing himself) ....i'll shoot in SD with my JVC GY-HD100 ......
I use Avid Liquid 7.2 and need advice how to do this ?

I really appreciate your help.
I have done this for two friends and will be doing this for another friend. I burned the captured videos to DVD as data so any PC/Mac could view the .dv files in any editing / capture program. It takes a bit of messing with the files to get the total file sizes near 3.4GB but it is possible. I arrange hte files on the disc so they can be copied back to HD with out having to rearrange them. Example below:

Disc1
.\-->source_files
...\-->[project date-name]
.....\-->video
.......\-->disc1
.........\-->camera1
.........\-->camera2
......\-->audio
........\-->source1
......\-->still_photos
........\-->photographer/source
......\-->production notes

etc

This way the client can copy the entire "source_files" dir where ever they want. They can copy Disc2's "source_files" dir and drop it straight on top of an existing "source_files" dir and only the new media will be copied.

jason

Last edited by Jason Robinson; June 21st, 2007 at 12:04 PM. Reason: text formatting problems
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 01:16 PM   #8
Major Player

Why is he insisting that the footage be transferred to DVD?

Give it to him on standard DV tape. If he's into editing I assume he already has a way to capture it.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 05:31 PM   #9
Regular Crew

well , thank you guys for all your help...I was trying to explain him -everything you tought me on here, including " to charge for it" ...DV codec avi is about 13GB per hour etc...and why don't you see as an option having the DV tapes ($$$)?..and bottom of line ...he goes: I'll have the "raw" footage MPEG2 /MPEG4 compression.
But for me this experience was very very helpful .

thanks
Todd Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques