First equipment failure - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 4th, 2007, 06:47 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Ferar View Post
Why no one has made a cheaper one (without the jamming option) I have no idea. Audio Technica or someone could make a killing.
Many are having high hopes for the Zoom H2 being released next month(?) that will go for $200. There's been lots of recent discussion about it here.

And the more weddings I do, I'm beginning to wonder what the real advantage is to monitoring audio on-cam. (Other than get sick over the fact you're not getting any like the original poster).

It's not like I can do anything about it anyway if it's not working. Being able to adjust the input volume for a softspoken bride is nice though but I can do that in post.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 08:14 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I've shot video in a church before several times. I used my Samson UHF 32 and the GS lav+Iriver. Have not had any issues (let's keep it that way) from the church wireless PA system and they use 2 systems and at least 4 mics. I've shot several seminars of 1 hour+ each and it did not have a problem. I will say that true diversity really rocks. I could see the receiver switching between the 2 channels receivers A and B. I have heard about people getting interference before. All being said I always use 2 lavs. When I get home I have to say that the GS lav sound is very addictive and I always use it. The Samson is also top quality but for some reason the GS really has me hooked.
Alex Amira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 09:38 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Ferar View Post
We decided to get out of the wirless business this year. Now we use these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tal_Audio.html

Why no one has made a cheaper one (without the jamming option) I have no idea. Audio Technica or someone could make a killing.

They are pricey but Zaxcom is like the Gucci of the audio world.
Hey Justin, is the Zaxcom still working out for you?
Old August 15th, 2007, 11:08 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I had problems with a wireless mic the first time I used one in a ceremony. It worked fine shooting love stories but I should have anticipated what would happen in a ceremony. During one love story the groom decided to take pictures next to me while i was shooting. I started gettings tons of interence and we joked about his camera being the cause. Well, when I recorded a ceremony with it everyone and their mother were shooting away with their digital cameras. It was an audio nightmare. Voices would completely cutout at times.

Needless to say, I got the iRiver set-up now.

Last edited by Sean Johnson; August 15th, 2007 at 09:34 PM.
Sean Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 01:52 PM   #20
Trustee

You can lock Irivers so they cannot be turned off.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #21
Major Player

We use Zen wireless along with a backup Edirol R9 digital recorder with a giant squid lav mic. The R9 has excellent quality. We then use it to go direct into the DJ board for the introductions.
Old August 15th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #22
Trustee

What wireless system are you using? I've been using Lectrosonics for the last 15 years or so and I've NEVER experienced problems with it.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
Rick,

Do you mean you have an iRiver, and a transmitter in the groom's pocket?

How's that been working for you?

Thanks,
Vito
I shot my first wedding on 7-7-7.
Wired up the groom like Ryan Seacrest with 2 lavs (GS+IRiver and Samson UHF wireless).

I think everyone should consider doing this especially since the GS+IRiver is only affected by user error. I've done about 10 events were I've used the GS and all the speakers were able to get it right (hit record button, slide the lock button).
Alex Amira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #24
Trustee

Because the iriver can record about 4.5 hours, you can set them going 10-15 minutes beforehand yourself and not have to worry about someone else getting it wrong or forgetting.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques