settings to get a 1 hour video on 4.7gb dvd? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 3rd, 2007, 05:56 PM   #1
Tourist

settings to get a 1 hour video on 4.7gb dvd?

Hello I was wondering what format to save my video to that I edited in final cut pro so that my video will fit on a 4.7gb dvd. Without looking like crap. It is an hour and 3 minutes.

Thanks,
Charlie
Charlie Woolford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:59 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Charlie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Woolford View Post
Hello I was wondering what format to save my video to that I edited in final cut pro so that my video will fit on a 4.7gb dvd. Without looking like crap. It is an hour and 3 minutes
To create a DVD that will play on a set top dvd player you or the authoring application needs to create an mpeg2 video file (extension is m2v) and an ac3 audio file. I don't have iDVD installed so I can't help you there, but its easy to export your file from final cut pro and import it into idvd for authoring. If you have DVDStudioPro I'd suggest exporting from the Final Cut Pro timeline to Compressor and then importing that into DVDSP. iDVD may be the better way to go for you as the learning curve is much less than DVDSP.

A few resources:

http://www.dc.umich.edu/groundworks/...CP_to_iDVD.pdf
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...6.0/en/22.html
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 11:12 PM   #3
Major Player

iDVD looks at the length of the movie and gives you two options: anything up to an hour use Best Performance. Up to 2 hours use Best Quality ... that includes themes, menu music etc. Best Performance gives you on average better quality because of the Variable Bit Rate but if you can't trim your movie, Best Quality should still do a fine job with that length

The other option, as stated, is DVD Studio Pro. You can use Compressor and select a pre-set based on time but with something that short you can import your QT movie right into DVD Studio Pro and do the compressing right there. It may take a bit more manual tweaking.
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 02:23 AM   #4
Inner Circle

for one hour, constant 6000kbps will get you what you want with enough headroom for menus etc
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 02:56 PM   #5
Major Player

6-8 variable kbs will give you top master top notch video quality for approx 80 mins on a single layer dvd.
Old July 4th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #6
Major Player

Menus are highly overated, IMO. I don't use them at all -- I'd rather spend that allotted time getting the video right.
Old July 4th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #7
Inner Circle

menus take 6 minutes to compile and render (the menu media) and less than 5 to create with working buttons etc etc

theyre tedious, but they dont take long

reason i mentioned 6 constant, is due to the fact that the MPG irrespective of how long it is, wont always be the same size.
Considering the motion and GOP commands and IBP profiling, the mpg stream itself is adaptive in turn, will always changed based on contrast and motion

6mbp is a safe number to accomodate these fluctuations
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 02:21 AM   #8
Major Player

you can run at 7000, get a bitrate calculator. you can find one @ videohelp.com
Kiflom Bahta is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques