Yet Another Wedding Trailer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 7th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Yet Another Wedding Trailer

Here's a trailer for our latest wedding event

http://www.weddings.neerod.com/mc.html

Have a nice day.
Julius Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Wow. Very nice. Although the music made me feel like any second an invading army would begin attacking in slo-mo.
Paul J Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007, 11:55 PM   #3
Still Motion

I thought it had some good shots, but overall it really didn't work for me. I thought the colors and contrast really looked a little bland, and some of your speed effects, in my opinion, just didn't fit. I think a trailer should really pull you in and leave you wanting more, but I think this may hav been too long and complex to do that.

I think the best shots in this clip put to a better song with less effects and more color work would really stand out much better.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 12:02 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J Carey View Post
the music made me feel like any second an invading army would begin attacking in slo-mo.
:D I think the music came from the xraydog collection, I really liked the way you edited the images to the music and it's refreshing to finally see a wedding trailer not made in a way everybody else is doing it.
Only if I would make it like this I would be not sure how my clients would react to it, I guess they would expect to see a trailer "how everybody else is doing it" like a lot of slowmotion, romantic music and so on. I think in your case the music is a bit strong for a wedding trailer and might scare your customers away or it could also attract clients who are looking for something different.

How do you edit the actual wedding video, do you use a fast paced editing as well or do you just use it in your trailers?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 01:52 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for your comments.

I prefer to do hyperactive editing with wedding video to keep ourselves apart from the rest. I usually veer away from the romantic saturated film look as most of the wedding video presented here. Our video looks bland though but it works as it is intended to be.

There are couples who prefer this style because they just dont want their video to be like a scene from a soap opera nor something taken from a cheezy romantic movie. The usual romantic style of editing doesn't work for them.

Hollywood themed romantic wedding video may work for everybody but there are couples who just want their video to be something else.
Julius Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 07:53 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Tan View Post
I prefer to do hyperactive editing with wedding video to keep ourselves apart from the rest.
Are you not limiting yourselve with this to a certain type of client? Don't know what the traditions are in your country in regard to weddings, but here I noticed that different cultures can have totally different expectations when it comes to wedding video's.
I try to keep a good balance in the way I edit which can also go from hyperactive to very dreamlike but then all combined in the same film, it all depends what type of client I have. F.i. some time ago I had a couple, he was a lawyer working for a big firm, half the room was filled with Lawyers. The party was very "classy", a Jazz band playing and a lot of classical music. For this type of couple on won't get to wild, probably because I don"t want to get sued, :D but mainly because I know they will not appreciate it.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 10:44 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I liked the way it is edited but didn't quite like the music, since we are talking about a wedding. Was that a soundtrack of a movie?
George Palmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #8
Major Player

I thought this was a very well cut piece. I like anything that is cut to music and you did a great job of that

I didn't like the speed ramps. I don't think they were necessary at all.

I loved the fact that mostly you used straight cuts with just a few well chosen transitions.

I don't think it was bland at all. I see too many wedd videos now with great, film like looks ... and that is all they have. Everything else seems so tame and conservative (buy hey, if that is what your clients want, then no argument there)

I think video in general and weddings in particular are all about the manipulation of emotion. Capturing just the events of the day is all well and fine but we set ourselves apart by using our cuts, our music, our pacing to find some excitment in the most everyday of events.

It could have, perhaps, been just a tad shorter. The trailers we do are usually no longer than 30 secs. Like commercials. Most commercials these days are between 15 and 30 secs (at least in North Amercia) and think about how much content, how much "message" is crammed in there.

My background in markerting so perhaps I am more concered with message than others ... fair enough. There is certainly a huge candid market and I think that as studios improve their basic image quality .. the so called film look .. candid style has certainly gone up a notch.

With your style, if you could work on that basic image, you would have something special. As is, I think you have come up with something that definitely has a real feel about it

Good work
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #9
Regular Crew

they just dont want their video to be like a scene from a soap opera nor something taken from a cheezy romantic movie.

exactly. I wasnt bored for a second watching it. Wedding videos should be entertainment, just like anything else you watch on TV. I tend towards the documentary side but still, it should be an entertaining documentary.
Roger Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 11:11 AM   #10
Tourist

I know, I'm a new here and probably easily pleased but I thought it was a great piece of editing. A trailer is a glimpse of what's to come and I think this does it very well. Why not driving drums. There should be greater latitude on the music for a preview and it's refreshing to see something like this that stands out. Simple cuts to the beat, it builds excitement, it's entertaining, and it leaves me wanting more. I agree, it's not for everyone, but dang... I loved it!
Neil Fitchett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 11:31 AM   #11
Trustee

It's a good job, I liked edit and music, just a couple comments (I guess that's what you post this for), I'd do more color work and the fast motion should be much faster and it's duration - much shorter;
other than that it's a very nice looking clip. only MHO.
:-)
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques