Histogram and Vector Scope Explanations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 10th, 2007, 08:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Histogram and Vector Scope Explanations

Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to video editing and coming from a photography background, I know how to use the histogram. Unfortunately, I'm not too sure on how to read all the other monitors available and what to do to obtain the perfect balance of light/contrast/color etc...

Is there a website, book or training material specifically on those monitoring tools I can get my hands on to learn a little more?

Thanks in advance!

Benoit Bissonnette
Benoit Bissonnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Glenn Chan and Douglas Spotted Eagle have an excellent DVD titled Color Correction in Sony Vegas.
Glenn also has a 2-part article on correcting exposure in Vegas.
You'll need to register for the VASST site if you haven't already done so but it's painless and spam-free.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Benoit,

The waveform and Vectorscope are two very useful tools, similar to the histogram, that help to analyze your video image, and also to set appropriate levels. I use them both all day long in the color grading process and ensuring appropriate levels for broadcast work.

One of the best books I have read that was rather short, but chock full of great information is 'Color Correction for Digital Video' written by Steve Hullfish. Hullfish offers an excellent description of not only what the scopes do, but how to use them and other tools to analyze and then adjust your image to bring it to the best it can be. The book can be bought at Amazon. This is some VERY well spent money.

There is also a reasonably good description of the scopes and what they do in the Vegas manual, though it won't necessarily tell you too much about how to use them to your advantage.

Hope it helps!

Lance
Old August 10th, 2007, 12:07 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Wow!

Thanks guys. That was a first class answer!

I've been looking a lot to find something on those monitors with no much luck. Now you just pointed me to the resources I was desperately looking for.

Thanks again!

Best regards,

Benoit Bissonnette
Benoit Bissonnette is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...