Print to tape dropped frames at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 28th, 2007, 11:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Print to tape dropped frames

I'm using V7e and have had no problems in the past using print to tape.
An editor today cut a program for me on Avid and rendered out as an AVI then we imported the file into my system and Vegas. When Print to tape it is intermittently juttering or plain 'ol dropping frames.

This never happens when I edit from within Vegas then P-T.
The programs are 3 x 30" and 1x 60" PSA spots in PAL.
Defragged, Prerendered, even rendered them out individually and tried the P-T to no avail. Also tried printing from VidCap- same problem. The stutter happens at different places each time. Sometimes I will get away with it on one P-T but next time it's stuttering again.

The images were from multiple sources - Betacam SP and DV transferred to DV then edited in Avid.

Any clues on what to do. I have tried just about everything since 3pm today and its now midnight. getting nowhere.
Thx
Geoff Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #2
Major Player

D8id you get it as an avi data file or on tape.
Old August 29th, 2007, 06:05 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The transfer was via his portable hard drive to my system through a USB port.

I then had to add a sound track in v7e, tried to go to tape and as that had active fault lines [dropped frames or whatever it is] I rendered and tried again. Same problem but the glitches are in a different place - always.

I did a test of all the equipment in line by transferring to tape an earlier job we did using Vegas all the way to "Print to Tape". The system worked flawlessly.

I DL'd GSpot thanks to a link here and tested the codec coming through of the Avid to AVI - no problems it tells me. I then tested an AVI produced entirely here in Vegas and the info was virtually the same.
Thx
Geoff Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Can you render the new file to AVI? If so, I'd do that load it on the timeline, and then print to tape. I've just done this exact thing with some footage my colleagues shot over the weekend. Transferred to my PC via firewire from the FS-4, and an external drive, placed clips on timeline, and rendered to an AVI.
Perrone Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...