Serial Numbers? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 30th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #1
HDV Cinema

Serial Numbers?

Running 7d on my old PC. 7d has been registered.

Decided to upgrade to 7e. Since I now use my Mac Book Pro for PC applications, I download 7e to it rather than my PC.

My 7d Serial Number won't work on 7e. During install, it claims the SR# is not valid! Is there some difference between d and e that requires a different number?

Sony sent me different SR number for 7d awhile back. (Can't remember why.) This one is accepted as valid, but is rejected during registration "as not in the database." This is odd as Sony sent it to me.

Is there some magic like unregistering Vegas before moving it to a new computer?
Old August 30th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #2
Major Player

My friend has the same problem with 6.0a.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #3
Major Player

Steve,

Your answer is that Sony software generates a unique computer ID for any computer that it's software is installed on. The software during install will poll various components within your system to generate a unique computer ID. It is the combination of this unique ID and a valid serial number that will unlock and complete the installation of Vegas. Even changing hardware elements within an existing computer with a valid version of Vegas installed may cause a failed re-install if necessary because the unique computer ID will change based on the new hardware.

What does all this mean? Well....you have a working and valid version of the software on your PC and now you want to use vegas on your laptop. Sony allows the license of it's software to reside on a single desktop computer and a single portable without having to purchase another copy. So what you need to do is contact Sony and mention that this is your case and that you will need to generate a second unique computer ID and a valid serial number to make Vegas also work on your portable.

I ran into this a few years back with version 4.0 when I changed my system and did a fresh install of my OS. I called Sony support for Vegas and they quickly set me up with the new serial number I needed to complete my installation of Vegas.

If this is still the case for version 7.0 then that is your answer.

Hope that helps.
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 02:40 AM   #4
HDV Cinema

Thank you. I'll call Sony on Friday.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...