Best way to connect TV and Monitor to graphic card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 9th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Best way to connect TV and Monitor to graphic card

Hi all,

I'm looking at the best way to connect one monitor and one TV (for preview purposes in Vegas) to my graphic card. I want to obtain the best picture quality and color accuracy. Right now, my video card and monitor are connected via the digital cable DVI.

Here's my actual configurations:

Video card: Asus EAX1600Pro Radeon (DVI, VGA and S-Video output)
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 206BW (20") - (http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/m...0mewsfvxaa.asp)
TV: Samsung LN-T2343H (23") - (http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/t...t2342hxxac.asp)

The Samsung TV has a 15 pins VGA connector so it looks like I can connect it to my spare VGA output on my graphic card easily this way as a second monitor. On the other hand, it also has 2 HDMI connections but I do not have any of these on my graphic card or computer. Since I've never done that before, I'm really curious to know what will be the best setup.

Feel free to offer any suggestions that would provide me the highest quality for both the monitor and TV. I don't mind replacing my graphic card if it's a better route to go. All I'm looking at is to get the best quality those products are capable of.

The reason why I'm looking at obtaining the best results is because I will be producing instructional DVDs and they will be sold in specialized retail stores (woodworking). I definitively want to go beyond the "home video" quality.

Best regards and thanks for any help,

Benoit Bissonnette

Last edited by Benoit Bissonnette; September 9th, 2007 at 10:41 AM.
Benoit Bissonnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 09:14 AM   #2
Major Player

There are cables that go from DVI to HDMI. If your computer screen has VGA input, then connect the video monitor using an HDMI to DVI cable.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 10:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Ok, if I understand you correctly, you would connect the computer monitor with the VGA cable onto the VGA output on the graphic card. Then, I would use a cable with the DVI connector plugged in the graphic card and the HDMI end connected to the TV. Right?

If so, will the TV be fed properly with sound or I still have to use my computer speakers?

Is there a big difference in terms of quality with the computer monitor being plugged in with VGA instead of DVI?

Thanks for your precisions, I really appreciate your help!

Benoit Bissonnette
Benoit Bissonnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #4
Major Player

I don't believe DVI carries audio, so you would either have to use your computer speakers, or connect the audio out of your computer to the input of the TV. I have a Dell monitor with DVI and VGA, and I can't really see a difference between the quality.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...