Grabbing the Fade Offset Handle at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 10th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Grabbing the Fade Offset Handle

(Newbie alert...)
It seems trivial but it's driving me nuts...
Mousing into the corner/edge of an event to grab the fade offset handle (the quarter circle icon with right/left arrow) seems to be hit and miss for me.
Admittedly, in the "View" menu I have everything checked (Event media markers, active take info, waveforms, etc etc), which makes event edges a little crowded, but turning them off doesn't seem to make any difference (except for "active take information", which improves the situation marginally).
I can easily get the mute/fade/opacity bar and the edge trimmer, but I have to be lucky to get the fade offset handle. Sometimes it can take me five or more seconds to get the right icon showing. It's only five seconds, but aggregate them and then add the grrrrrr factor....
So my question is "is there a sure-fire way to grab that fade offset handle first time every time?"
Thanks in advance...
Reg Gothard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Try putting the cursor at the edge of the clip and zooming in til there's only about half a minute showing on the time line... Steve

Sorry, missed the "newb alert" the two easiest ways to zoom in to cursor are the up cursor arrow and the mouse scroll wheel if you have one. It's really fast to click on the clip edge, shove the mouse wheel forward, hover over the corner of the clip til the little "pie wedge" appears, then click and drag...

Last edited by Steve Leverich; September 10th, 2007 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Added points
Steve Leverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Reg, something else to keep in mind is that if you have lowered the volume/opacity bar you need to grab the edge where the bar is, not at the top corner where you normally would if you haven't touched the bar.
Curt Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks both.
Tried the zoom out to half a minute on screen trick - definitely improved the situation dramatically - but still not "sure-fire".
Will keep in mind the point about the opacity bar moving the target.

I guess this is one of the things I learn to get used to:
Select the cut point - roll the wheel forward - fish for the "pie wedge" - drag as required - roll wheel back again if necessary...
(Was hoping there was a key-press combo or something that "told" Vegas you're fishing for pie and and not edge or fade... <sigh>)

...and I should also read up on the "auto-crossfade" settings in preferences and any other ways that Vegas tries to help make fades easier.
Thanks again.
Reg Gothard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...