Capture app hanging at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 17th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Capture app hanging

Am I right in thinking the capture app that comes with v8 is identical to that which came with v7?

I have today been doing some long capture sessions (SD from an XL2) but for the fifth time now it has hung in mid capture - very annoying because these clips are continuous recordings of a performance - ie they are up to around 50 mins in length - and when the capture app hangs I have to start again on that tape. I have to end the prog using Task Manager.

Anyone else been doing any large file capture with v8?

I have never experienced this problem before (ie with 3,4,5,6 or 7) and I have checked that I have sufficient disk space, there are no other apps hogging resources etc.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #2
Inner Circle

It's worse than that Ian.
VidCap is still stuck at version 6 :-(
I haven't tried any long captures with V8 yet so I can't say if the problem is specific to your computer or not
I can say that it's the first time I've read about any SD capture issues in V8.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 12:06 PM   #3
Major Player

If you have a separate capture app, you can tell Vegas to use that. You have to import the captured clips after. Type-2 DV AVI seem best (that's what Sony's utility captures as).

There's a variety of free capture tools that would work - or at least tell you if it's a Vegas issue.

BTW, are you using external capture or Vegas' built in capture? It's odd that the external version would cause a problem given it is 6.0.

Have you tried the external version directly (i.e., from Windows Explorer) to see if you get the same problem?

John.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Ouch, getting a bit long in the tooth.

To be honest I guess I'm pretty indifferent about the capture app and its functionality. It's always performed OK for me (well, mostly) and I can't think of any new features I would like to see - I use it to capture video, period, and it's always done that well.

Since starting this reply I believe I may have hit the nail on the head - I think that the f/w cable I used may have been damaged - I just nudged it ever so slightly and bingo, it hung. Interestingly, waggling the cable (gently!) caused it to un-hang. I'll swap out the cable and see if that's where my problem lies. If not, I'll look into other apps.

Thanks for the responses.

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:49 AM   #5
Old Boot

Hmmm . .I really hope it isn't your f/w OUT from the camera?

Maybe if you ARE considering keeping the XL2 for any amount of time, get a cheapo 2nd Hand DV-camera for captures? Would save a lot of wear and tear on your main camera - yes?

G
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:55 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Grazie,

No, thankfully not the fw out! And also not the XL2! I have an old JVC cam which I use to capture most of the time. And let's not forget the wonderful XM2 that you and I both love! You still making the most of that little beauty?

Cheers,

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...