Photo Size for HDV timeline at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 17th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #1
Major Player

Photo Size for HDV timeline

I'm adding a photo montage to a HDV timeline. Project properties are HDV 1080-60i (1440 x 1080, 29.970 fps). Photos were originally in 4:3 format. I've resized the photos to 1440 x 1080 and converted them to png. With the resizing the timeline pictures show up in the preview window as a little vertically squished and obviously not in the correct aspect ratio.

How should I handle dropping 4:3 photos on a HDV timeline?

Thanks.
Dave
David Jasany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 04:15 PM   #2

Either crop them, convert them, or back them with other media.
If you crop, you lose part of the image.
If you convert, they lose resolution.
If you back them, you have pillar boxes on the sides.

You need to decide which is most convenient to you and comfortable to work with. I can't see any benefit to working the images outside of Vegas, however.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #3
Major Player

In the past I've simply cropped them at 16:9.

Most of my JPEG's are about 3000x2000 pixels so I've just resized from 3000 to 2400 and cropped the pic to give me a 2400x1350 pixel image, i.e. 16:9.
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 06:34 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys.

Since I have Ultimate S 3, it looks like the easiest method is to crop the photos to HDV1080 on the timeline.

My original jpegs are 2848 x 2136 and 2592 x 1944. I used two different cameras. Would you recommend using the jpegs as they are or resizing them down and/or converting them to png? If resizing before cropping is a good idea, what would be a good size for these photos? Using the jpegs as they are and then cropping them seems to work fine.

Also, DSE, your "HDV What You Need to Know" book states for 1080 projects to convert photos to 1440 x 1080. Since this is what I tried unsuccessfully, how does this relate to my project?

So in the future, when I'm taking photos for a HDV 1080 timeline, I have to keep in mind they're always going to be cropped (unlesss I want to back the pillars) and I need to compose the shot accordingly. Do I have this right?

Last edited by David Jasany; September 17th, 2007 at 06:36 PM. Reason: clarify
Old September 17th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Working with large images, from 10Mpix cams seem to be hard for vegas to crunch. At least if there are large numbers of them. Vegas 8 crashed several times due to heavy work related to big images.

Batched them down to 1440 and even 1024 width's in Photoshop before adding them to the timeline.

A photomontage often seem to be kind of boring, using animation 2d or 3d will add another dimension to the project and the 'enjoyability' will increase a lot. I know you just asks for dimension, but when adding 2d and 3d movements to the images, the optimal dimension will vary.

If you do this manually it will be flexible but takes a lot of time. Instead use som hefty scripts to get you leaping. If so check out different scripts.

You could use Ultimate s3 www.vasst.com montage tools as David suggests, or Excalibur www.jetdv.com.

I find Excalibur superior for high/vertical pictures as it tilts up/down for the full height of the picture without the pillar boxes on each side.

Each tool provides several methods of dealing with photomontages, i recomend you try both of them. They save you a LOT of manual work. But still lets you modify the moves to add extra energy.

Last edited by Ronny Hofsoy; September 17th, 2007 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Fixing typos, clarifying
Ronny Hofsoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #6
Major Player

Just giving this a bump because I'm still uncertain about how best to handle 4:3 photos on a 1080 timeline. I understand taking the original photo and giving it a 16:9 crop, but then information is lost. And I understand using the original 4:3 photo and backing up the pillars.

But can the 4:3 photos be resized to a 16:9 format without cropping but perhaps at a loss in resolution? I've tried various sizes and can't seem to make it work. I must be really missing something.

This is my first project on a 1080 timeline so please bear with me. How do you handle 4:3 photos on a 1080 timeline?

Thanks.
Old September 18th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #7

This article may help you better understand your options.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 05:58 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jasany View Post
But can the 4:3 photos be resized to a 16:9 format without cropping but perhaps at a loss in resolution? I've tried various sizes and can't seem to make it work.
The only way to fit a 4:3 photo to a widescreen video without cropping it is to stretch it horizontally, which would probably look odd depending on the content. So either crop to fit, stretch sideways or 'pillarbox' - anything else violates the laws of physics... :-)
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks DSE & Kevin,

So the solution I was looking for is impossible. I guess I was still stuck in the SD world where it was a simple matter of resizing the photos, converting to png, and everything looked great and as it should.

DSE, thanks for the link to the article. It helped me better understand the dilemma and convinced me it wasn't my pilot error.

The good news is that if I don't mind dropping down from taking photos from 6.1 mp to 4.6 mp, my HC7 will shoot them as 16:9. No format worries! Of course there's still the matter of my other camera.

Last edited by David Jasany; September 19th, 2007 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old September 18th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #10
Major Player

Same here. The A1 takes a half reasonable 1920x1080 (16:9) still shot.

Last edited by Bill Watson; September 18th, 2007 at 08:10 PM.
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 04:33 AM   #11
Regular Crew

David: if I understood your initial question correctly, you should crop the pictures (or copies of your original) to 1920 x 1080, not 1440 x 1080 since still photos use square pixels.

Or am I completely wrong here?
Matti Remonen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...