snapping in Vegas 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 19th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #1
Major Player

snapping in Vegas 8

Is it just me or can you not entirely turn off snapping in Pro 8? With snapping disabled (either from the options menu or by holding shift) my cursor will snap to video frames. I remember vegas 7 allowing for completely free positioning allowing you for instance to move a video frame to the first sample of audio (to sync exactly to a beat for instance).

Anyone else noticed this?
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Could this be something to do with "quantize to frames"?

marks
Mark Stavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 10:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Mark,

Yep that solved it, many thanks!
Old September 20th, 2007, 07:29 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi,

Even if Vegas freely allows you to drad video clips around without snapping - or even locking to frames, I would suggest that you always drag around your VIDEO clips with the "quantize to frames feature" enabled. This is not necessary - but advisable.

Feel free to move your audio around even at the sample-level (quantize to frames disabled), when you need to sync audio to video events. Audio can start or end at any sample interval -there are no frames in audio.

During final rendering Vegas has to determine at wich frame to start each clip. The framerate is fixed as we all know, and a freely placed clip must be resynced to the project's frame rate. If there are video clips that are not placed "frame accurate", then Vegas must decide at what frame to start, and that depends on the position of the clip. I rather be in control of that myself. You can end up in a situation where clips start one frame earlier or later - compared to what you had intended. Vegas does a good job herer but I have stubled over some single black frames in the final render, when dragging by mistake some adjacent clips out of position.

I just wish that the status indicators (buttons showing snapping, autoripple etc.) would be more clearly drawn (active/not active). These buttons are quite small anyhow.

Regards,

Christian
Old September 20th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #5
Major Player

I agree with the principle of quantize to frames will ensure better accuracy and less chance of black frames. It was a quick and dirty project I was working on trying to sync video up to a score and I just wanted to get the video starting right on the beat. In all acuallity I don't think anyone would notice if the video was one frame out of sync for a butt edit from the music but I always tended to work that way.

When rendering out many short segments for stock footage if I don't turn on the quantize to frames I end up having the clips rejected because of black frames so I can sincerely agree with it's merits!!
Old September 21st, 2007, 10:19 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hooey View Post
I agree with the principle of quantize to frames will ensure better accuracy and less chance of black frames. It was a quick and dirty project I was working on trying to sync video up to a score and I just wanted to get the video starting right on the beat. In all acuallity I don't think anyone would notice if the video was one frame out of sync...
James, I'm with you - I can see a one-frame sync error!

Best procedure in this case is to turn off "Quantize to Frames" and slip the music track to match, then turn quantize back on for more video editing. If you've not explored the numpad shortcut keys of "4"and "6" for this work, check it out. Zoom in and slip the music very finely.

OTOH, if there are timebase errors (not uncommon, especially if you received an audio CD of the music track), or multiple cameras, it can be a little trickier, and then you do have to slide video tracks around. I've always kept quantization on and accepted the 1-frame errors. Especially for "quick and dirty" projects!

(BTW, all audio CD should be converted to 16/48 outside of your vegas project before use)
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...