Render locking up... NEED help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 20th, 2007, 11:09 AM   #1
Major Player

Render locking up... NEED help!

I got a project with a 1 hour nested project of 1 video track and 1 stereo audio file (two plugins on the video files 6 channel color adj tool and the regular color corrector... and broadcast safe on the overall project) that is layered with 4 mono files and 1 stereo file (all of these have a decent amount of eq'ing, compression, limiting going on). The audio rendered out just fine but when I go to do the video it locks up as some point. 15% this last time but it made it to 19% twice before.

I've rendered 2.5 hour projects before with more plugins then this with no problems before.

Vegas 7, Intel 3.06 ghz (hyper threading enabled), 1.5gigs ram (about 340mb for render preview in options) All my source media is on a non-system drive (SATA1) and I'm rendering to my system drive (regular ATA).

I'm dying here... this needs to get finished ASAP! :( I hate to be that guy on here whining and fusing about deadlines but this time I am that guy. :(
Kevin Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Random freezes = heat problem

Hi,
sounds very much like a system overheating problem. Lift the lid off computer and blow air into it with a desk fan or similar. (I spent 18 hrs re-installing from bare-bone and examining every asset in a project before I thought about the heating problem when I was in your sitation)
Old September 20th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #3
Inner Circle

It's interesting that it made it to 19% twice. That would of course make me wonder if there was an activity at that point that was causing the render to fall over.

But this time it stalls at 15%. Has anything changed in the project in between times?

I guess overheating is a possibility but you would think that if that was the case the pc would reboot or shut down (i.e. you wouldn't know it had fallen over at 15% or 19% unless you were staring at it the whole time). Certainly worth trying Magnus's suggestion though.

Have you tried rendering to any other format?

I know it's painful but it's possibly worth going through a render again, noting the frame number at the time of the freeze then taking a look at the contents of the frames around that point.

Good luck.

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
It's interesting that it made it to 19% twice. That would of course make me wonder if there was an activity at that point that was causing the render to fall over.

But this time it stalls at 15%. Has anything changed in the project in between times?

I guess overheating is a possibility but you would think that if that was the case the pc would reboot or shut down (i.e. you wouldn't know it had fallen over at 15% or 19% unless you were staring at it the whole time). Certainly worth trying Magnus's suggestion though.

Have you tried rendering to any other format?

I know it's painful but it's possibly worth going through a render again, noting the frame number at the time of the freeze then taking a look at the contents of the frames around that point.

Good luck.

Ian . . .
Yeah, I thought of that... when it crashed at 19% the second time I looked at the frame number, went to that point and there is nothing... it's in the middle of a clip, no edits nothing going on.

I also agree overheating would make my computer act funny in other aspects... the computer froze up at 15% last night almost 24 hours ago... I just went and tended to it just now... computer is still completely functional.

I'm going crazy over here... I think I'm gonna render out the multicam edit on the nested project so all the color correction stuff is done and it's just a video file that is then chopped up in my new timeline... only thing that sucks about that is when I "replace"/edit the nested project my buss envelopes disappear on completely unrelated tracks and I have to redo all my changes (luckily it's not a lot or I would be so screwed!)
Old September 21st, 2007, 12:47 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Kevin,

I'm guessing from the fact that you were rendering audio and video separately (if I understand correctly) that you are going straight to mpeg and ac3, maybe using the DVDA templates?

Why not try rendering to avi and then letting DVDA do the conversion to mpeg etc.

To be honest, I suspect that the problem lies somewhere in the complexity of your nested project but it might be worth a try, even if it's a two-pass render.

BTW, you said no edits going on at the 19% point. Any envelopes changing value? Another wild thought!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 10:53 AM   #6
Major Player

Well, I've tried to render out just the video of the project that is nested to just dv avi twice now and it stopped about half way through with "couldn't create edit9.avi for unknown reseaon" or something like that. it was the exact same spot but VERY close. Only reason I know it's half way is because the file is about 7 gigs and the video is an hour long.

Not sure what is going on but I'm gonna do like you said just render out the avi from the nested project and see.

I'm really clueless... I'm about to pull the HD's and bring them to an older machine and try from there.

I'm just REALLY lucky the client hasn't called like he was supposed to!
Old September 25th, 2007, 10:10 AM   #7
Major Player

Well, update.

I stripped off the color correction on the nested project (just two presets, one for one came one for the other and the 6 way was shared by both). After that it rendered out just fine. So then I applied just one of the presets to the whole track (wasn't THAT different between the two cams) and the 6 way and it all rendered just fine.

Makes absolutely no sense but that's the scoop.

And still any time I "replaced" the nested project an unrelated audio track would "lose" it's bus envelopes I had put and I would have to re-add them... EVERY single time. Even if it was just updating the nested project and I didn't "replace" but saved to the same file name. So two HUGE bugs found in Vegas 7... Oh well.

Oh, and can you not open a vegas 7 project in vegas 6? (I even tried going back to 6 to render it out but it said not a valid format).
Old September 25th, 2007, 12:28 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Richard View Post
Oh, and can you not open a vegas 7 project in vegas 6? (I even tried going back to 6 to render it out but it said not a valid format).
No you can't.
Vegas has always been backward compatible (6 will open in 7) but not forward :-(
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...