Encoding for DVD with Vegas Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 2nd, 2003, 06:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Encoding for DVD with Vegas Question

I have a superficial understanding about encoding principles and am relatively new to DVD authoring, but have a question regarding Vegas.

I am making a DVD using Vegas for editing and rendering the video and ReelDVD for authoring. My video is less than an hour so if I understand correctly I would get the best video quality by encoding at a constant bit rate, and at the maximum for DVD (9.8MBps). I have done several projects with the default settings in Vegas (Variable Bit Rate with 6M max and average 4M) which have turned out nicely, but tried to set the Constant Bit Rate to around 9M, but that wasn't an option.

Does anyone know if the video quality would be much improved with a higher constant bit rate (especially if some high action scenes are present)? And does anyone know if you can set Vegas to render at a CBR higher than 6M?

As always, any comments are greatly appreciated.
Dan Measel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 08:38 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

The next issue of Vegas Tips, Trick, and Scripts talks all about this topic http://www.jetdv.com/tts. I hope to post it either Tuesday or Wednesday.

Technically, VBR should be better because it can use a higher bitrate for areas where there is a lot of action and lower bitrates for areas of less action. However, if your video is small enough to use the rates you are indicating then there should be no difference between CBR and VBR.

Remember that the bitrate has to also include the audio. To get the audio as small as possible, render it to AC-3. Try rendering to CBR at 8,000,000 and see if you like the results. Also, you could try some other encoder such as TMPGenc to see if you like its results better.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 09:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Edward, Thanks for the feedback. When I tried to select a CBR in Vegas it only gave me 3 options 6,000,000 - 4,000,000 & 192,000. I'm sure there's a way to select 8,000,000 but it wasn't apparent to me. Do you know how to do that?
Old June 2nd, 2003, 09:50 PM   #4

I don't know which pre-set you are using. However, you should be able to just type it in.
Old June 3rd, 2003, 04:54 AM   #5
Wrangler

Yeah I've heard never to render at the limit because it'll have inherent spikes that go over the limit and cause the file to be non-compliant. Try 8mb, that'll give you enough headroom.

Speaking of encoding in Vegas- how is it? I have Procoder and love it. Is it good enough to not even have to use Procoder- and if I'm looking to encode progressive scan 24p DVDs do I have to encode with Vegas w/DVD arcitect?
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2003, 06:56 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Edward,

Thanks again, that was easy, sometimes the obvious escapes me, sorry.

Do you use another encoder with Vegas? If so, is the quality better or is it for speed?
Old June 3rd, 2003, 07:53 AM   #7

I always encode directly from Vegas. That way I can do it directly from the timeline (although with Satish's new frameserver, any could be used directly from the timeline)
Old June 4th, 2003, 02:00 PM   #8
RED Code Chef

I had some good results with VBR 0-5000-8000 in other MPEG
encoders.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2003, 02:51 PM   #9

The newsletter containing info about encoding in Vegas and authoring in DVD Architect is now available at www.jetdv.com/tts/archive/TTS01-07.pdf
Old June 4th, 2003, 09:30 PM   #10
Trustee

Edward, what's this about the frameserver? I'm looking at upgrading my machine in the near future and was hoping I could use my old machine to help render the timeline if that was possible.

Cheers
Aaron
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2003, 06:06 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Just for some feedback. I encoded the DVD (about 50 minutes all together) at a CBR of 8,000,000 and converted the Wav files to AC-3. It looks great. Whether it is much improved over the Vegas default of VBR 196k - 4,000,000 - 6,000,000 I can't tell. But anyway thanks for all the help.
Old June 5th, 2003, 07:55 AM   #12

Go to http://www.debugmode.com to find information about the frameserver plugin that Satish wrote for Vegas.
Old June 5th, 2003, 09:03 AM   #13
RED Code Chef

The frameserver can be found here

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...