Movie 300 effect at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 4th, 2007, 03:26 PM   #1
Major Player

Movie 300 effect

I've done some searching on duplicating the effect used in 300 but mostly found tutorials using photoshop or other picture editing software and some with after effects but none with vegas. Has anyone duplicated that effect using vegas? I'm working on a project and wanted to incorporate that effect but not having much luck. If you have would you mind sharing what settings you used or point me in the right direction?
Lalo Alvidrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #2
Tourist

Which effect are you refering to? There are many. I would say that almost everything in that show was done using shake (or something similar). It was mostly compositing that made it so cool.
Keith MacGowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #3
Major Player

I guess your right about so many effects but I'm after the look of the movie itself. That monochromatic look, I guess that's what it's called.
Old October 4th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #4
Major Player

If you mean the speed-up-slow-down effect, here's the trick:

http://yousillyman.blogspot.com/2007...300-style.html

Shoot your footage 60i and convert to 60p (unless you're blessed with a 60p camcorder). This gives you leeway for the slowdown. Then target 24p as your frame rate. Use velocity envelopes to adjust the playback speed to normal or fast (I like to go 400%). Then add three points around the apex of a move, one point on each side with one at the apex. Drag the apex point down to 0%. Do this to every "move" like the full height of a jump or the full extension of a punch. To accentuate the effect, use the pan and crop tool to zoom in right before you hit the apex, then zoom out as you resume to normal speed.
Old October 4th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Mike for the link and the tip. I thought I had the speed up slow down effect down but apparently I didn't even come close. Now what I'm after is the colors and filters used for most of the movie. I also used the vignette in vegas but I have that circle around the center area of the vid that's not real apparent but still visible. Anyway around that?
Old October 4th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #6
Major Player

Ah, the color styling I haven't figured out yet. Most other tutorials I've seen go out to AE but I don't have that. I don't even have any of the film look plugins for Vegas yet (haven't decided on a package yet). I tend to use the built-in effects to do a bleach bypass effect (I like the less complicated 25% saturation+increase contrast) then add a tint using color curves. Getting it to look nice and "brown/red" (mine tends to come out yellow) is the tricky piece. If you figure it out or find someone who does, I'd like to learn as well.

As for the fake vignette, you should go to the generated media you're using and zoom it in until you only have fringes.
Old October 4th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Check out Magic Bullet
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 12:51 PM   #8
Tourist

300 efx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dulay View Post
If you mean the speed-up-slow-down effect, here's the trick:

http://yousillyman.blogspot.com/2007...300-style.html

Shoot your footage 60i and convert to 60p (unless you're blessed with a 60p camcorder). This gives you leeway for the slowdown. Then target 24p as your frame rate. Use velocity envelopes to adjust the playback speed to normal or fast (I like to go 400%). Then add three points around the apex of a move, one point on each side with one at the apex. Drag the apex point down to 0%. Do this to every "move" like the full height of a jump or the full extension of a punch. To accentuate the effect, use the pan and crop tool to zoom in right before you hit the apex, then zoom out as you resume to normal speed.
Regarding the speed gags in 300... They shot those scenes on 35mm at 120fps so there's plenty of information to work with once the film is scanned into Inferno (or whatever.) However Mike's tips above should be quite effective. --- 300 was shot in a warehouse in Toronto in 6 weeks. Post took 2 years to complete. The best we can achieve in Vegas is an approximation of the gag. As to the painterly color grading, Vegas may get fairly close given enough time for testing. That's my 2 cents...
James Eaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 01:09 PM   #9
Trustee

The post-production for 300 is explained here and here.

You have to remember that films are shot with the end result in mind. Everything is co-ordinated before picking up the camera, in order to make it as easy and efficient as possible. Thus, the clothes, make-up, and lighting were deliberately chosen. Without doing all that you are merely approximating the film's look with color correction. Really all it is increasing the contrast, and "crushing the blacks" (as they call it) and adding a red/brown cast.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #10
Inner Circle

300 effect

http://youtube.com/user/dancrew32
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 09:31 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I appreciate this info. I only knew how to do it in After Effects.
Michael Vaden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...