EX support? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 4th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #1
Major Player

EX support?

(If this question has already been posted and answered, please point me to that link as I have tried searching for this)

Does, or will, Vegas Pro 8 support the upcoming XDCam EX camera?

The reason I ask this is because after reading the Sony/Vegas website and it states support for XDCam...but not specifically the EX; and after perusing other posts here on DVinfo, it seems that the EX cam uses a MP4 wrapper vs. the MXF wrapper that the bigger XDCam cameras use; so hence my question.

AC
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Andrew, the following came from the Forum Moderator in this thread on the Sony Vegas forum.
Hope it helps.

The EX camera records to SD memory cards.

The upper-end Vaios and Mac notebooks come with a card slot, you can buy a desktop card reader, or you can set the camera + memory card array to be seen as a mass storage device.

The files on the cards are recorded as .MP4 format, using MPEG-2 compression.

A simple software utility comes with the camera. This applet allows you browse the memory card contents, format and clean up the cards, and also let's you pull files off the memory cards, to your computer drive. You have the option to import the files into your computer as .MP4, or .MXF. For Vegas, choose .MXF

Importing .MXF is super fast, and there is NO generation or quality loss, zero, for those wondering.

Vegas can open all of the EX's .MXF types

Simplied instructions:

1) Import files as .MXF using the supllied utility software.
2) Add file to Vegas timeline.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...