I need render help tooooo. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 5th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #1
Major Player

I need render help tooooo.

I have to convert to mp4 format to send to producer then make QT files on a dvd.
So do I just render to mp4 and send then when ready re-render as a QT file and burn to dvd?
or
Do I make several instance of vegas and copy time line over to each one and render each seperatly?
If I am not mistaken I can render to as many different formats as I want and it wont affect it.
Joe Bowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 11:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm a relative newbie on Vegas (learning fast though) - as far as I know you can re-render from the same project. Just select the "render as" option accordingly.
I've created AVIs and WMVs from the same project, so I see no reason why you can't do MP4s and QTs.
No doubt one of the Vegas gurus will put me straight if I'm wrong, but...
Reg Gothard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

You can File - Render As as many times and into as many formats as you wish.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 11:08 AM   #4
Major Player

I'm at 14 hours, 6 to go to render a 9+ min clip into a wmv hd 720 4.8 mps, w/surroundsound, I'd hate to think if I had an hour to do. I'm also at the point of putting my wmv clips on a dvd, but not burning a dvd, I have tried over and over to get a good dvd, all I can get is one that is OK.
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #5
Major Player

does render as many times to many formats affect the quality?
Old October 7th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Joe,

If you are rendering each time from scratch from the project within Vegas then it will make no difference in what order you render the files of any format.

However if you are rendering to a file into a lossy format like mp4, and then using that newly rendered file to transcode to another format, then you will lose quality in comparison to a project rendered straight from the project timeline.

Hugh, What kind of machine are you rendering on, and what version of Vegas are you using? 14 hours does seem a bit long for a 9 minute 720p file, even with the best settings and two passes. Is there a vast amount of effects and compositing going on? Have you got a virus checker that has started a scan in the background or anything like that? Do you have a good wodge of memory and disk space available? Is hyperthreading/dual-core enabled in your computer's bios?
Robert Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 07:27 PM   #7
Major Player

I rendered from timeline to mp4 and it worked great. I just uploaded it and everhting looks fine. So if I make changes just re render it from time line.
Old October 7th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #8
Major Player

I have a 3.2 gig dual core, 380 gig in 2 hard drives, with an extra 300 gig ext., it has plenty of power most of the time, these clips were m2t, and I used magic bullet, with 5.1 surround sound, rendering to wmv hd 720 4.8 mps. editing the m2t clips were fine at 23.97 until I started adding everything else. went down to 2 or 3 the render in question took like 20 hours and didn't play well, believe it was wrong template, I have more or less settled on the wmv 720 23.97 4.8 mps template, tried them all. this one should play exceptional in media player, not real happy with burning dvd, quality just not there., ok but not good enough. using V8 with cineform neo hdv,for most work
Old October 8th, 2007, 12:05 AM   #9
Major Player

this clip took forever to render, also takes a few minutes to load, 7+ min clip,

http://www.hughmobley.com/White%20River%20QT.html
Old October 8th, 2007, 06:47 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mobley View Post
this clip took forever to render, also takes a few minutes to load, 7+ min clip,

http://www.hughmobley.com/White%20River%20QT.html
Hugh,

The clip must be corrupt in some way; with just 7mins, it should load instantly!
Old October 8th, 2007, 09:34 AM   #11
Major Player

large file,close to 200 mb, I don't know how anyone could get that large of a file to open that fast, or, am I missing something.
Old October 8th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
large file,close to 200 mb, I don't know how anyone could get that large of a file to open that fast, or, am I missing something.
Hugh, Vegas opens 12GB clips in an instant (then it spends some time building peaks, but that's another story and can be avoided). 200 MB you mentioned is not large at all!
Old October 8th, 2007, 12:52 PM   #13
Major Player

this clip is one I have on my website, and unless a person has the site cached I don't know of anyway of a 7 minute clip playing instantaneously, I can preload images but I don't know about preloading a wmv or QT clip of close to 200 mb. If there is way I sure want to know how to do it. I could make 30 sec clips to post, I don't want to. Yes V8 or 7 loads clips but this is a website, so I just have to deal with the size or cut them down. thanks
Old October 11th, 2007, 10:45 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
...I have more or less settled on the wmv 720 23.97 4.8 mps template, tried them all. this one should play exceptional in media player, not real happy with burning dvd, quality just not there., ok but not good enough...
Hugh, that's the world today. 4.8Mbps is way huge for internet distribution for download & play, and will not stream playback for anyone with what currently passes for a broadband connection (800-1500Kbps).

But, 4.8Mbps is roughly half the datarate of a standard DVD-Video.

It would be a nice rate for hard drive playback of HD.

Ya' can't get it all today if internet is part of the distribution.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #15
Major Player

I settled on that particular wmv template because playback on a computer is much better than some of the others. Quicktime is not bad, My V8 will not render out to Quicktime, so I have to convert it, so its degraded some again, I keep the files small on the site and they will load, takes a few minutes, I have tried Flash, quicktime, mpeg, and I am going for better resolution rather than quick streaming time, If I do that template and just play the wmv on the computer without going to dvd then it looks like what the camera is capable of doing, short of going to a hdmi deck and different card and that stuff, can't do that right now. Actuall my dvds are slightly better when played on my tv when I use that wmv template rather than using the dvd ntsc template. but not all the time.
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...