Velocity envelopes vs ctrl+drag at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 6th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Velocity envelopes vs ctrl+drag

Is there a difference between using a velocity envelope vs ctrl+drag (clip end)?

I know with velocity envelopes you can add your points and control speed that way, but if I just want to slow down a clip without any points, is it better to use a VE and set your speed that way or use the ctrl+drag method?
Old October 6th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

If I want a constant speed and don't want to go below 25%, I use CTRL-Resize. Why??? It's EASIER and faster. Quality-wise there should be now difference.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 10:53 AM   #3
Tourist

Velocity envelopes vs ctrl+drag

I find that there is a slight difference between these 2 methods.

I put an 8 minute avi of clouds passing overhead on the timeline. When I used the velocity envelope to speed up the clouds, things did in fact move faster but the the avi on the timelined remained 8 minutes long. The result was that the sequence looped a proportional number of times to fill the 8 minutes.

The ctrl+drag method, however, both speeds up the motion and adjusts the length of the event.
Steven Thorsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 12:10 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thorsen View Post
When I used the velocity envelope to speed up the clouds, things did in fact move faster but the the avi on the timelined remained 8 minutes long. The result was that the sequence looped a proportional number of times to fill the 8 minutes.
That's why you have to look (very carefully) for the V at the top of the video clip indicating that it's looped.
You can also try dragging it backwards and waiting for the "snap" telling you that's where the loop is point is.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 07:36 PM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

Steve, if you go into the properties and adjust the "Playback Rate" (Instead of CTRL-Resize - which changes the "Playback Rate") you'll notice the same thing happens. You're expected to resize the event as needed once you've adjusted the speed.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thorsen View Post
I find that there is a slight difference between these 2 methods.

I put an 8 minute avi of clouds passing overhead on the timeline. When I used the velocity envelope to speed up the clouds, things did in fact move faster but the the avi on the timelined remained 8 minutes long. The result was that the sequence looped a proportional number of times to fill the 8 minutes.

The ctrl+drag method, however, both speeds up the motion and adjusts the length of the event.
I found the same thing, and it actually happened to me on a finished wedding video where the bride put on the ring twice lol
Old October 9th, 2007, 09:31 PM   #7
Inner Circle

You've GOT to watch for the V notch in the top of the clip OR use something like Excalibur that will not only change the velocity BUT adjust the length of the clip. Vegas has many ways to do things but they all require some operator influence. Control-Drag, Playback speed, velocity envelope, no matter which method you choose they will all accomplish the same end but ya still gotta watch for the V notch ;-)

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...