Vegas 8 issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 9th, 2007, 09:17 AM   #1
Major Player

Vegas 8 issues

It took about a month for Sony to get back to me with thei regarding all the issues with the new V8

Thanks for replying.

There will be an update to Vegas 8.0 coming out shortly. Please download it when it is available from the link below, and let me know if you continue to have problems:
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 01:44 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I have been biting my tongue, but Vegas 8 is the buggiest major software program I've ever used. I zeroed out my hard drive, did a clean install of windows and installed everything in a precise order, etc etc and still it has bugs.

I will be happy to install the update, thank you.

So far, not using the Titler, the biggest advantage I have found with 8 is it seems to render faster...but I haven't actually timed it...can anyone confirm?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #3
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
. . . but Vegas 8 is the buggiest major software program I've ever used.
Wow! That's going some!

Anyway, its not been my experience, 'cos I use VPro8 daily. No major glitches here. And definitely NONE that would require a "clean install of windows"? I think I would be truly annoyed. I'd like to know what your system is using to work? HD space? Are you editing on system drive?

Actually if the newer update gets right for you that which was going wrong, then maybe it was a clean install that did it? See? In any event, we wouldn't know either way.

What have you had go wrong?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 03:11 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Yes, that was a strong statement I made...but the single thing that bothers me the most is the pics and peaks on the timeline disappear when I toggle up or down the timeline, and I have to wait for them to rebuild, its like it can't keep up. I do edits where I am moving back and forth a lot during certain stages of the edit, and this is a hassle. Also, the program will freeze up (not crash) and sometimes it will catch up, sometimes I have to restart...needless to say I save my work often, but I always have. It's these little things that bug me quite a bit.

I run a Dell Precision with a Q6600 lots of ram and I use a 10K raptor drive as my work drive, and I'm not doing HD.
Old October 13th, 2007, 07:48 AM   #5
Old Boot

Quote:
I run a Dell Precision with a Q6600 lots of ram and I use a 10K raptor drive as my work drive, and I'm not doing HD.
I meant what/how much HD=hard drive space do you have. Or are you saying that you have a separate media/work drive? Or are you doing everything on your system drive? And what is a 10k Raptor drive? 10k, what ever it is, it sounds kinda tiny?

And no, you really shouldn't be getting what you are saying. And again, I really don't think it is Vegas either.

Not being able to zoom up and down the Timeline is such a very basic procedure, and if Vegas was not doing this, then, I would have thought that the clamouring for a fix would have been heard right around the planet! Well, it isn't. And as you have pointed out, you are not doing HD.

Let's hear how much free hard disk space and whatnot. Yes?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 08:46 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
...but the single thing that bothers me the most is the pics and peaks on the timeline disappear when I toggle up or down the timeline, and I have to wait for them to rebuild, its like it can't keep up.
Check under Options - General and make sure that "Build peaks for visible events only" isn't checked.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 10:06 AM   #7
Inner Circle

10k Raptor drive = very fast. 10,000 rpm to be exact, compared with the typical 7200 rpm and lower on most drives.

I have a 150Gb Raptor as my system drive. At this time I think 150Gb is the largest capacity Raptor available but I may be wrong.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Mike, good suggestion, but it is not checked....that was the first thing I thought of too...yes Graham, a work drive is a drive for storing the footage I am working on at the moment...I then move it off when I go the next project. My sytem drive is a small raptor meant for OS only. And while they are not SCSI like I used to run, they are fast enough.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; October 13th, 2007 at 11:02 AM. Reason: mistake
Old October 13th, 2007, 12:05 PM   #9
Major Player

I've been having lots of crashing in Vegas 8 as well. Everything was working fine for straight cuts and multi cam editing but as my project started to grow in size (25 minutes with over 500 files) and when I began to bring in quicktime, psd and jpeg files and do various effects work I started crashing multiple times daily. It's a real pain.

I should also note that I am using Cineform Neo files in an HDV 1080i project.

Marc
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:17 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I absolutely do not recommend this upgrade unless you need a feature 8 has over 7. I had decided to hold off, then decided that a clean install over a new would eliminate all of the issues. I was wrong.

It is as if the "Build Peaks for Visible Events Only" is checked, so I checked the box, shut down and restarted and then unchecked the box, but that didn't do any good either.

And Graham my hardware is more than adequate, and my work drive is only half-full, and it is defragmented. That is not a bad question though, because I have worked with an overly full and/or fragmented hard disc drive and seen similar issues.

7 worked fine, I wish I would have stuck with it.
Old October 15th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Another Issue With Crashes

I have encountered another issue concerning crashes. I have captured several tapes as m2t files. Some were shot with an XL-H1 in 60i and some with a Sony HVR-A1u. All were captured using the Sony to save wear and tear on the Canon. Each tape was captured to a separate veg. file. I scroll through the timeline and log the scenes on an Excel spreadsheet. There are no problems with crashes with footage shot with the Canon, but Vegas 8 crashes repeatedly on two tapes shot with the Sony. If I open the same files in Vegas 7 they work perfectly. When the problem occurs a large green band goes through the scene and the following error message appears: "Vegas has encountered a problem and needs to close."
Old October 15th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #12
Major Player

I stopped using 8 for the same reason. If I use newly captured footage with my Canon Hv20, no problem.

If I mix older footage on the timeline that was shot with a Sony HC1, Sony HC3, and Canon HV10, Vegas 8 crashes.

I'm staying with 7d for now.
David Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:26 PM   #13
Regular Crew

god, i hope sony get their act together and fix these problems. it would be such a shame if vegas dissapeared due to buggieness. it's currently the only program i know of that justifies using a PC's
Mauritius Seeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 07:53 AM   #14
Major Player

This is very interesting to hear. I personally have been using vegas 8 pro for 2 months now,every single day, and have yet to run into any problems at all. I upgraded from 6 and everything has been working just as well and much much faster. I think your computer build has a lot to do with it. Not that there is anything wrong with any of your setups, but this software just isn't working well with it all. I'm using a dell XPS , windows vista, loaded with RAM and about he fastest processor you can buy right now and it's performed flawlessly . I also have 8 on 2 other computers here and have had no problems with them either. Similar setups, all dell built computers.
good luck to you all! I have faith that sony will correct any issues.
Matt Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 08:10 AM   #15
Major Player

Matt,

Have you tried working on projects that mix multiple video clips on the timeline from a combination of different Sony and Canon Camcorders?

I have a Dell XP, 1.5 gig of Ram, on a computer that is designated for Vegas only. I also use 5 different external hard drives. When I mix footage on the timeline from the above Camcorders, Pro 8 crashes.
David Rice is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...