shoot 60 convert to 24? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 13th, 2007, 11:50 PM   #1
Major Player

shoot 60 convert to 24?

What are the major drawbacks of shooting hdv at 60i and converting a final render at 24p after editing?

I ask because for many things I am currently shooting some of it will be slowmotion segments so I think shooting at 60 may be better for that, but the final should be 24 output, so should I shoot everything 60 and render at the end or try to shoot 24 and only shoot 60 on things we definitely think will only be used at slowmotion? and what about mixing the two if some clips were shot 60 expecting to go slow but end up running normally? does that work alright?

Does it matter if the end result will likely be SD dvd's not HD even though it will be edited all the way through as HD and rendered both ways for future potential of hd usage.
Stephen Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 06:39 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I did some tests recently and found 50i didn't go down too bad to 24p too bad. However, if you are slowing down I suggest extensive testing. If you are slowing 60i footage down to 24p I am guessing that if Vegas uses every frame from the original, the interlace is going to impact and create a jog from frame to frame (if it chooses each field as a frame).

I think experimentation with the interlace blending and motion blur settings may be required.
Robert Wheeler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...