Playback help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 25th, 2007, 08:45 PM   #1
Trustee

Playback help

This has been bugging me for ages.
When I playback the time line the video tends to stutter but not all the time.
I use,preview good auto and this normally plays back in real time but has been stuttering bad of late.
Some times I power down and boot up again and this resolves the problem but looks like it's here to stay.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this problem could it be a video card issue? or perhaps a drive?

My set up.
Pent 4@ 3meg
2g ram
Radeon 9600 vid card

Regards
Simon
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

I seriously doubt it's the video card. Any additional programs running - especially ones that didn't run before? (like anti-virus or other background programs) Reading multiple files off the same hard drive can be a strain as well. Also, the type of file, number of effects applied, etc... can also affect the playback ability.

Unfortunately this is one area where there can be so many possibilities it's hard to say where to start.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks mate,
I have disabled virus, etc...

I'll find the problem somewhere.

Cheers
Simon
Old October 26th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #4
Trustee

Well i've read all the fourms here to this problem and some great advice but still i have not fixed the problem.

What's strange even a small video of 5sec on the time line without any efx is still stuttering.

Do you think that Vegas has had a breakdown?
If i re install a fresh version of Vegas what will i lose?
Should i re install a fresh operating system?

Has anyone had this problem and resolved it?

Cheers
Simon
Old October 26th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Simon, I've got an idea what this could be.

What you are describing sounds like a technology like Speedstep kicking in. Your computer could be slowing down it's processor because it can not cope with the amount of heat this system is generating under high load.

A few questions:

1) Have you moved your computer recently?
2) Does it have a clear airflow behind the case?
3) Is their adequate case and processor fans fitted? Is the processor fan fitted securely?
4) Have you made any upgrades to your system recently. Hard disks generate a lot of heat and adding more can tip it over the edge.
5) Is there a build up of dirt and dust in the case?

You may benefit from visiting the web site of your processor or motherboard maker and see if they have any monitoring software for your set up that could allow you to check the system's heat. If it gives you warning then you will know something is wrong.

Another shortcut is to go into task manager and watch the CPU monitor while you try and run the problem tasks. If you notice it leaping from a low percentage to 100% in a series of spikes, it could be an indicator of a Speedstep like technology kicking in to save the processor from overheating.

You may be able to resolve it by adding case fans or potentially a replacement processor heat sink and fan. The heat sinks that come with Intel processors in particular are generally regarded as pretty rubbish.

Edit: Just checked your spec and it is very similar to my main machine. The Pentium 4 is very well known for running very hot. Make doubly sure that the heat sink and fan is securely attached to the motherboard. I had my machine for about six months before I realised that only three of the mounting posts were actually pushed home and the heat sink was not in contact with the processor.
Robert Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #6
Trustee

Hi Robert,
I was thinking the same thing about heat. Has happen before with an older system.
I'm running three sata drives 370g all up.
Plus all the other bits and a 400w power supply.

I have noticed the CPU monitor spiking in task manager, i think you have nailed the problem.......

Thanks for the response mate.

Maybe its time for another upgrade?

Regards
Simon
Old October 27th, 2007, 02:37 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Simon,

It depends which way you want to take the upgrade I suppose. I have been very tempted to go Intel Quad QX6600 bound, especially as Vegas can take advantage of all four cores. Plus it runs very cool. The major problem with my P4 is that it is so loud because it runs so hot. Cases make a big difference though. I saved a P4 from being skipped a few weeks ago, and it had a fantastic top of the range Thermaltake case. It is full of fans and runs much quieter than my main PC.

A short term solution, and one I seem to end up employing on most machines I have, is to open the case up while the machine is running. This gets rid of a lot more hot air from the case much faster than fans can, but introduces other problems, such as more dust into and more noise out of the case. But make sure that the heat sink is properly attached to the processor first. If it appears to be anything other than completely locked down to the motherboard it is probably not attached correctly.

I will probably wait until just after Xmas to see if there is a price drop on the QX6600, as it has held in value for the last few months. Dell actually did a system based around this processor which was going for about £400 on a promotion a few months ago, but unfortunately the motherboard was rather pathetic in terms of expansion capabilities (only two Sata ports for example).
Robert Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 11:51 AM   #8
Trustee

I have noticed that my computer is loud and really heats up a lot. I also have the case open at all times to help it along.
Intel Quad QX6600 seems like the go, should be enough juice in that to kick it.

Update on my problem.
I have pulled the PC to bits and cleaned all fans and heat sheilds.
Re installed Versino 6.0d
Prior to this i had to render a 15sec intro, the render took 12.mins
After the clean 2 mins.

Still, playback stutters a bit and i think due to the crap on my system that i have downloaded is the cause to this problem. I will format my system again and see what happens.

Cheers
Simon
Simon Denny is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...