To Edward Troxel - IMPORTANT!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 27th, 2007, 05:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

To Edward Troxel - IMPORTANT!!!

Hi, Edward,
I open jetdv.com many times because it is very usefull. But everytime I try to register, I get "Sorry, but this e-mail address has been banned", why?!?
Plamen Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 06:23 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

I had to ban gmail.com, yahoo.com, hotmail.com and several others because I was getting too many spam registrants from those domains. Soooo... YOU are not banned - your e-mail provider is. Either try a different account or e-mail mebfor a work-around.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 01:06 AM   #3
Trustee

Captcha

Have you looked into implementing a Captcha to block the bots from registering? Or where these actual people registering and trying to post spam?

Last edited by Jason Robinson; October 28th, 2007 at 01:06 AM. Reason: spelling
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 08:09 AM   #4
Major Player

I empathize with Edward. As a former admin of several web forums, we were beseiged with spammers even with registration security including captcha. The problem is that spammers can buy software that automates their signup and circumvents protections such as basic captcha. We found that banning certain known spammer hosts (such as @list.ru, @hotmail.com and @gmail.com) helps only a little. Banning individual spammers is counter productive in the long run as spammers have an endless supply of zombie accounts they can utilize. What we settled on was manual screening of all new registrations so an admin could pick out the spammers from the legitimate registrants. Because the spammer software has a few telltale signatures, manual scanning was most effective...but time consuming. After culling the spammers from legitimate registrants, we just deleted the spammer account. This is faster than banning and doesn't gum up the forum software with long lists of banned users which can potentially slow down the site response. Until better registration security is developed, website owners will be plagued with these scum and legitimate users will be inconvenienced.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #5

Jason, my site already does that. Guy - I agree and have mine set where you can register but not post until I OK the registration. I just got tired of the sheer number of them coming from Hotmail, gmail, etc... so I just banned the entire mail host. It cut the number of spam registrants WAY back.

At this time, when you register you can't post (or, apparently, even log in) until I activate the account. So once registring, keep trying to log in until it works. If your account disappears, I didn't recognize it as being valid (yes, it does happen sometimes) and deleted it. If I delete, re-register and let me know some way that it IS valid (e-mails are good!)

If the only account you have that you can register from is gmail or hotmail (etc...), send me an e-mail and I'll help you work around that issue.

Yes, it's a pain but the spammers have driven me to doing it.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #6
Regular Crew

So, Edward, I made registrations in so many mail servers arround the world, but still banned for your site (forum). If there is a server or provider that will not be banned, you tell me, and I will use it for registration.
Plamen Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #7

I have e-mailed a workaround to you.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...