Vegas 8 crashing with stills - help please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 27th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #1
Major Player

Vegas 8 crashing with stills - help please

Hi there - I have an important project to finish and Vegas 8 (updated) is driving me mad. I want to use some old b/w stills with my HDV 30i project and every time I put a still on the timeline the programm crashes. I changed the color space of the pics (to Adobe RBG), I re-saved and re-named them (they are jpg) but nothing worked. I tried it on a second computer - still crashing. Sometimes I get this error code: >The instruction at "0x7c9a3ba" referenced memory at "0x3d8684e4". The memory could not be "read"<

The last four hours I did nothing but trying to make it work. Can't go back to Vegas 7 either, only to Studio but than my Lower Thirds wouldn't work...

If anybody has any idea every help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matthias
Matthias Krause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 06:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I too have had some problems with photos in Vegas 8, but not with crashing. Try converting them to .png and see what happens just for kicks.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; October 28th, 2007 at 06:55 AM. Reason: spelling
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

converting them to smaller file sizes can also help if they are very large images.
Jim Ohair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 12:19 PM   #4
Inner Circle

It certainly seems logical to check file size, Jim. I have in the past attempted to used large photos and it did cause havoc.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #5
Major Player

The jpgs are about 1 MB or smaller. But I think I found the problem: I was trying to edit in 34 bit - once I brought the project back to 8 bit all problems with the stills were gone...
Matthias Krause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #6
Major Player

The trouble with JPEGs

I too was just having problems with Vegas 8. Crashed when I clicked on a JPG in the timeline. The JPG's were at lest 4 meg, I resampled to smaller size and works ok now, no real noticable loss of quality, though it was only a SD project.

Other note, some color spaces in jpgs are not supported:
http://www.custcenter.com/cgi-bin/so...i=&p_topview=1

Always save your JPEG images as RGB (or grayscale) from your image editing program. CMYK images will not import into the software. Only 24-bit (RGB) or 8-bit (grayscale) JPEGs are supported. We have added this as a product request, so this feature may be supported in the future. Until then, save JPEGs as RGB (or grayscale) from your image editing program or use your image editing program to convert a CMYK JPEGs to RGB. To do so, open the CMYK file in your image editor, and save it as an RGB JPEG. However, the image will lose information if you do this conversion since JPEG is a lossy format and the image will be re-encoded. Therefore your best option for quality is to just save your JPEG images as RGB (or grayscale) from your image editing program instead of saving as CMYK originally.
James Harring is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...