Vegas got slow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 29th, 2007, 01:59 AM   #1
Slash Rules!

Vegas got slow

Just a few weeks ago, it seems, Vegas' playback performance has dropped dramatically. I was used to not being able to watch things at a full framerate once FX were added, except in draft mode, but now the audio is doing it too. Unless there's just a few audio tracks, the audio plays real slowly, and stutters and crackles and pops. Doesn't even matter if there's stuff on the audio tracks at the time, just having more than 2 or so in the project, and unmuted, causes it to do this. It never used to do this. It's done it on two different projects with the media on two different drives, so it's not one of my media drives the problem.

Anyone else experienced this?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 07:25 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

No. Mine is running the same speed as always. Anything changed on your system? Something hogging the CPU time?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 07:34 AM   #3
Inner Circle

If your whole system's being slow, reset the DMA detection since It might've gone back to PIO mode (For laptops, haven't tried out on Desktops).

Also, you could free up disk space and use the 0MB Dynamic Ram and 1 rendering thread method.

I experience this regularly when I edit with highly compressed formats (AVC .mp4 for instance.) Try making intermediates out of the highly compressed files.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 11:52 AM   #4
Wrangler

You might also test these settings (General tab under Preferences)

- Build 8-bit peak files
- Build peaks for visible events only
Old October 29th, 2007, 11:58 AM   #5
Wrangler

Other things I've tried to speed up Vegas in general.

- Turn off the Media Manager, at the very least it's a faster startup.
- Change the Temporary files folder to a different drive (General Tab under Preferences)
Old October 29th, 2007, 12:09 PM   #6
Slash Rules!

I'll try the suggestions. Haven't made any PC changes I can recall recently. The thing is, on a project that just a few weeks ago ran smoothly, without making changes to it, NOW runs all sloooooooooooooow.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Is the machine connected to the net?
If so, have you run a virus/malware scan recently?
Have you installed any Windows updates recently?
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 01:19 PM   #8
Trustee

I think the new Windows update has something to do with this.
My Vegas version was running fine untill the latest Windows Update.

No matter what i do the performance of Vegas has droped and at this point I WONT even edit as it's so bad to work with.

If i cant resolve this problem, could be goodbye Vegas & what a shame as I love this software and have invested all my energies into learning the thing over the last couple of years.

I think the latest Windows Update has something to do with this?

Cheers
Simon
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Simon, you probably don't want to hear this but, quite often, the easiest solution is a fresh install of Windows and start all over again.
This gives you a chance to thoroughly clean out any and all junk that you've allowed to accumulate on your system since you began.
If you want to keep what's currently on drive C, buy a new drive and do a fresh install to it, keeping your old drive until you can get everything off of it.
Once you get it up and running, use an app like True Image from Acronis to do a full backup. That way, if your system gets messed up again, re-install from this archive and you're good to go.

BTW, I don't have my system set to Auto Update anything.
Once A week, I'll have it tell what the updates are and then decide if I really need them.
For example, I use Firefox and Thunderbird exclusively so I don't bother with any Outlook or IE updates - ever!!
Old October 29th, 2007, 01:50 PM   #10
Trustee

You are so right Mike about a fresh install. I will be getting a new drive and doing this ASAP. I have done this before and it feels so good having a clean system.

Cheers
Simon
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Simon, glad to hear that doing this isn't something that scares you.
I know that, on a clean install for me, Vegas ran so much faster I thought I had upgraded my CPU :-)
Old October 29th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #12
Slash Rules!

Okay, how do you reset the DMA/PIO thingy?

Can the temp files folder be the same folder/drive on which a project's media resides? I think mine's defaulted to the C drive somewhere (temp files, that is).

Could my sound/volume settings on windows have something to do with it? I'd screwed around with them a lot trying to get cleaning recording into the PC, for music recording (see my other thread), and I first noticed this issue while mixing a song in Vegas.

Doing spyware/etc. tests now, haven't installed recent updates that I know of, but can't Windows sometimes just do that stuff on its own if the computer happens to be on/internet capable?

I want to reiterate that Vegas runs the same as always when I have 2 or three audio tracks enabled. More, and it starts to have problems.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...