So what if I miss this upgrade? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 29th, 2007, 06:35 AM   #1
Major Player

So what if I miss this upgrade?

I've been editing with Vegas 7 on a Asus Deluxe Board with three Hard drive and a Intel 2.4 duo core.
I have absolutely no problem. Vegas is working like a charm on my machine.
For 150 bucks it's extremely tempting to upgrade, but what I'm reading on this forum scares me.
Ok, if I miss the upgrade how much will I pay later for the full Vegas 8 version? 300 bucks? Frankly, I have the feeling that it might be worth waiting.
What do you think?
Larry
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 06:41 AM   #2

I have the same hardware as you do. I've upgraded and very happy I have.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 07:14 AM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

I believe the price goes up $100 if you don't upgrade within the next two days.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 08:39 AM   #4
Major Player

A few days ago I upgraded from 7 to 8 and so far no problems. But, I ran the rendertest-hdv veg and V8 took a little bit longer time to render than V7. I tried several ram and thread settings and the decrease in speed from V7 tracked each time.

I think for the price the upgrade is well worth it, if for no other reason than to stay current. And the new titler, as different as it is, will do everything I need and more. I just wish the interface could have been more consistent with Vegas. I feel like I'm using a 3rd party plug-in when I use the ProType titler.
David Jasany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #5
Inner Circle

You can have both versions on your computer at the same time.

2- The Protype titler interface is definitely different... but it does allow you to do some things not possible in the old Vegas-style way of working (e.g. more control over keyframes, ability to interact with multiple layers at once).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #6
Major Player

does anyone know if I can order from the UK and if so will I need to pay import duty?

cheers
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 05:51 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I ordered and received in three days. I am from the Netherlands an didn't have to pay import duty. So that shouldn't be the problem for you i guess.
Hubert Duijzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 08:09 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Secrest View Post
I have absolutely no problem. Vegas is working like a charm on my machine.
Larry
I had planned to wait for 9, but didn't. Many may be using with no problems, but I am not one.

You answer your own question. I feel especially dumb reading your post, because I was in your situation. Running Vegas with no problems, doing just great, then I upgraded to 8 despite the complaints from SO many people. So I spent $150 for a Titler that causes my computer to freeze, and on every project I have issues with viewing the timeline, etc.

In fact, by all rights how can anyone that has been warned even complain as I have done?

The BEST thing about the upgrade I have heard is that for some people it doesn't cause their computer to crash. Wow. I have heard no rave reviews on the Titler, not one. Some say it's OK, but generally that is about it.

If you are like me you will get the upgrade and you will be lucky or unlucky, but if you see any benefits other than it doesn't cause you to crash, my hats off to you.

Good Luck!
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:17 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I don't think Customs charge import tax on software, but they will get you for VAT. If you have the software couriered, be prepared that you may get hit by this charge on delivery along with a handling charge. VAT was automatically added at the checkout when I got my download upgrade.
Robert Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I made the jump from 6 to 8, so maybe I don't count, but just the handling of HD files in 8 has made it so worth it.
Rob Gregory-Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 08:01 AM   #11
Major Player

Hey Fergus,

Just go for the download only version. I know it's nice to have the box but....it just ends up sitting in a cupboard or a shelf gathering dust.

I'm on the fence as well. What puts me off is again the lukewarm reaction to the Pro Titler and the fact that if I hear correctly, Magic Bullet doesn't work on it either (correct me if I'm wrong).
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:50 AM   #12
Major Player

Hey Alistair

Cheers mate. Went for the download only version as like you say I dont need the box or CD really.

I've had no major problems - just about to test magic bullet...
Old October 31st, 2007, 10:47 AM   #13
Major Player

Magic bullet look suite and misfire seem fine to me - not done extensive testing or tried deartifactor yet though.
Old October 31st, 2007, 11:54 AM   #14
Major Player

Ok

Well, after reading all this I'll pass on this upgrade until they have bug free version, frankly after spending 3200 bucks on a cam, 1200 on lights, and build a computer for 1200, why should I rush to save 100 bucks on a software that might be buggy, eh?
larry
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 04:02 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergus Anderson View Post
Magic bullet look suite and misfire seem fine to me - not done extensive testing or tried deartifactor yet though.
Damn you Fergus........you just shoved me off the fence!
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...