So what if I miss this upgrade? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 31st, 2007, 04:29 PM   #16
Regular Crew

MB Looks and Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergus Anderson View Post
Magic bullet look suite and misfire seem fine to me - not done extensive testing or tried deartifactor yet though.
Fergus,

Could you clarify this/what exactly you bought? I was under the impression that the new Magic Bullet Looks (this one: http://redgiantsoftware.com/magicbulletlooks.html) worked with most/all NLEs except Vegas; the release notes are pretty clear in my recollection that Vegas support is coming in 2008, but is not there now. Are you referring to a different program? Or are you managing to use MB and Vegas together in some way that is still usable? Can Vegas users still use MB looks productively, but just not as a plugin?

Thanks,
Ian.
Ian Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 06:46 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I've decided to go back to 7. I was working on a project earlier and more of this ridiculous nonsense on the timeline where the peaks keep rebuilding and the clips are blank, I have to stop what I'm doing and click on a clip to make it reappear.

I wasted $150. My files are on a dedicated Raptor hard drive with nothing else on it. I run a Raptor for my OS. And like so many other people, 7 worked fine on this system, never a hiccup.

Actually, now that I think about it, I can't go back. The projects I've created in 8 will not open in 7. Isn't that lovely?

Last edited by Jeff Harper; October 31st, 2007 at 07:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 07:40 PM   #18
Major Player

ouch! Sorry about that!
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 10:53 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Secrest View Post
Well, after reading all this I'll pass on this upgrade until they have bug free version, frankly after spending 3200 bucks on a cam, 1200 on lights, and build a computer for 1200, why should I rush to save 100 bucks on a software that might be buggy, eh?
larry
You always could (could have) done as I did and go ahead and get the upgrade and let it sit on the desk until Vegas gets around to a revision 8.0b or 8.0c whereby I'm sure at least 90%+ of the problems are fixed...

I was under the impression there were some performance advantages in 8.. maybe not though...
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 06:13 AM   #20
Major Player

It seems that's the best advice!

If you know you will still be using Vegas in 12 months then take advantage of the cheap upgrade, keep it sealed in the envelope and forget about it until everyone here is raving about it!!

That's what I did!

Also, don't install new software on a system you rely on for work until you know it works well in the rest of the market! Otherwise you are asking for trouble!!
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 07:16 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Hay View Post
Fergus,

Could you clarify this/what exactly you bought? I was under the impression that the new Magic Bullet Looks (this one: http://redgiantsoftware.com/magicbulletlooks.html) worked with most/all NLEs except Vegas; the release notes are pretty clear in my recollection that Vegas support is coming in 2008, but is not there now. Are you referring to a different program? Or are you managing to use MB and Vegas together in some way that is still usable? Can Vegas users still use MB looks productively, but just not as a plugin?

Thanks,
Ian.
Hi Ian

Sorry for any confusion - I have not got the new version of MB you mention above (it looks very cool though - have you seen the demo video?!) I was referring to using MB editors 2 inside vegas.

Alistair - sorry to push you off the fence dude...

As for performance I have noticed that the preview window is faster for me - rendering 32 is very slow though compared to 8bit.
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 05:14 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Skipping version 8 because of reported problems in the hope that those problems will be resolved in version 9 might be a bit misguided. Version 9 will just bring *different* problems for different people, as did versions 7, 6, 5 . . . .

IMO not installing until a, b, c etc updates are released makes much more sense.

Personally, I am one of the lucky majority who hasn't had problems with version 8 - except with that Titler!

EDIT: Just re-read the earlier posts in this thread. Hmm . . . no-one actually said they were waiting until 9, so my comment above is aimed at, er, no-one. Still, I think it's a valid general observation!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...