Vegas 8 capture from camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 31st, 2007, 08:29 PM   #1
Major Player

Vegas 8 capture from camera

I wanted to see what would happen if I connected my Sony V1 to my laptop and record live. So, I connected the camera and hit record in vegas, but I didn't hit record on the camera, it recorded the clip as a m2t clip while on standby directly to vegas, I am wondering if I gained anything since there is no tape involved, but I have the clip to render, I rendered it to a wmv file hd 6.4 mps 1080 24p. It sure looks like I might have gained an advantage. I sure would like some opinions
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 08:52 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

The biggest advantage I can see is that you don't have to capture after the fact. Otherwise, you should be getting exactly what you would have gotten if recording to tape first except you don't have to worry about the possibility of dropouts.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 07:23 AM   #3

Any signal that is captured over firewire has already been compressed within the camera. What you get is EXACTLY what you write to tape. The biggest advantage that I can see is that, with no tape in the drive, your headwear is zero. Problem is, with HDV, no tape, no timecode.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 11:44 AM   #4
Major Player

I put the clip taken directly by Vegas side by side with one from the tape, to me there is a difference, the color is better, and sharper, closer to the actual image, in this case my cat, than the clip from the tape, and seems it has more detail. could it be the picture profile setting is being captured on the tape and not when captured directly.
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 12:11 PM   #5
Inner Circle

huh!!!

You're on firewire, not HDMI connection?
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #6
Trustee

I connected my Panasonic GS500 up to the computer via firewire, then switched it on. I was asked what program I wanted to record via and I said, V8 - so V8 opened. I then hit the record button in V8 and an audio window opened and audio was recorded, but no video. Should it have?
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 07:07 AM   #7
Sponsor: JET DV

Straight capture on the Vegas timeline is audio only. If you go to File - Capture, you then have the option of choosing SD or HD and the appropriate capture app opens. SD opens a separate program for capturing. HD opens a new tab within the main Vegas app.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #8
Trustee

Thanks Edward.

Ok...so I've got video coming in...but I don't have any audio with it.

What am I missing?

Last edited by Renton Maclachlan; November 4th, 2007 at 06:20 PM.
Old November 4th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Have you checked your recordings?

There is a "preview audio" choice in the options menu in the external capture program (for standard def) that determine whether audio is previewed.

In the internal (HDV) capture function I don't think you can preview audio, but it should be capturing it if it is coming down the firewire.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #10
Trustee

Yes, the Options>Preview audio is ticked.

However my audio device is greyed out in Audio>
Old November 4th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #11
Trustee

I've fiddled around a bit and there is audio there but it is pretty faint. The wave form is minimal.

I think I may have an issue with my audio device as I tried recording some audio yesterday for my radio station and couldn't get it right.
Old November 5th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #12

Whatever audio is on tape, is represented exactly in Vegas.
Tape to HDD over firewire is only a data Xfer. Nothing is done/processed in the Xfer. It's a bit-for-bit copy.
Same goes for capturing live vs tape. It's a bit for bit Xfer, whatever the firewire of the camcorder is outputting is identical.
Connect camcorder, capture live, while capturing to tape. Capture tape, and make a color comparison using eyedropper values on the same pixel, they should be/are identical.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...