Multicamera Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 6th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Multicamera Question

Its seems that when you use the multicamera editing setup in Vegas 8 that it strips away all effects and crop/panning you've done to the events.

I have footage from two different cameras and need to color correct to match them up (as closely as possible), and I'd like the multicamera editor to keep that information.

Is there any way to do this without having to pre-render the tracks?

So far, I much prefer the Vasst version of multicam editing.

rgb
Rob Gregory-Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Color correct the MEDIA in the Project Media instead. That will affect that media wherever it is on the timeline.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 12:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

As they say, you learn something new every day. THANKS, Edward.

rgb
Rob Gregory-Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #4
Trustee

Thread resurrection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
Color correct the MEDIA in the Project Media instead. That will affect that media wherever it is on the timeline.
I had a problem recently on a graduation shoot, where depending on which part of the stage I was shooting, the CC needed to be different. So I couldn't CC the media. I had to split the multicam up on the timeline and assign unique tracks to each "part" that needed different CC. This was a royal PITB to do because after using the Vegas multicam to make the edits, I had to manually go through and pull down every other cut (two cam) to put those cuts on the video track that had the CC applied.

Is there any multicam tool that leaves CC on the events after multicaming .... OR that leaves the events on their track so that the CC can be applied on the track level and not event or media level?

I've demo-ed VASSST's US and Ed's Excalibur but that was back when I was only trying to find a solution for quick pan& crop for 100+ media files (then I needed to adjust manually the fx that zoomed into nothing, or panned away from subjects).

I never did make up my mind on those, but now I have the multicam problem solved using hte manual Vegas hacks described above and would like to save myself lots of edit time before I launch into my edit backlog on the 4 recent multi-cam weddings I shot.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #5

Both Excalibur and Ultimate S will allow you to color correct on the specific events and the color correction will be copied to the master track. None will (or can) use effects at the track level.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
Both Excalibur and Ultimate S will allow you to color correct on the specific events and the color correction will be copied to the master track. None will (or can) use effects at the track level.
So do both scripts discard any CC applied to the track level after they perform the multicam edit? Or does track level CC not even come into the picture for multi-cam (ie is not affected)?
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #7

Track Level effects cannot be used. There's multiple reasons but here's an important one:

When the process is finished, you get a "Master" track that has all events from the chosen cameras. If you copied track level effects from each camera track (or ANY camera track) to the Master track, that effect would then apply to ALL cameras.

Using the script versions, you can apply effects at either the event or media level and it will be applied correctly to the Master track.

Using the built-in multi-cam in Vegas Pro 8, you're limited to media level effects.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...