Cinescore workflow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 12th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #1
Major Player

Cinescore workflow

Hi, I appreciate the standard way of learning new software is to play with it! This is what I normally do!

However, due to music right prices coming back far too high and client budget changes we've had to pull a soundtrack off of a completed short film just days before a dvd print run well into the high thousands!!! (MAJOR pain in the rear)

They want delivery VERY soon. Our simplest most budget friendly answer was to go down the Cinescore route.

So far all looks very suitable. The one problem is I don't really have enough time to read the manual right now!

Can anyone tell me quickly the standard workflow procedure using Vegas and Cinescore?

The film was edited in it's entirety using Vegas 7.0e including VO, FX and Music Soundtrack. What's the best (and quickest) way of getting this into Cinescore to add a new soundtrack. Have I got to re-render the FX and VO to a new audio file that Cinescore reads? Or do I work in reverse to that?

Your impatiently!
Stuart
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 11:51 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I though you would produce a low quality render and import that into Cinescore to get placement of your music track. Then render it back as a wav or whatever to then go back into the timeline in Vegas for final output....but I'm sure there are other ways.....

" I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here! ..."
Phil Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 12:55 PM   #3
Trustee

I'm not a gun on this but have had Cinescore for over a year and done a bit with it.

All you need to do is start another audio track, select a length either relatively precisely the length you want - or longer, and location for that selection, and get Cinescore (in Vegas go to 'Insert > Generated Music...') to generate the music you choose for that length. It will shove it on that track - if you have it selected - in the selected range.

You don't have to render anything out before working with it.

I normally make my music longer than I want and use envelopes to bring it in and take it out where I want. If you are wanting a precise end, you could put Cinescores 'end' of the music were you want, and fade in the other end.

Because of the way Cinescore is set up, you may not get music of absolutely precisely the length you want if your looking for a very tight start and finish, but it is pretty good.

Hope this helps.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 04:19 PM   #4
Major Player

thanks guys. I think I've pretty much sussed Cinescore now. There's not as much to it as I thought!

Just a bit disappointed in the range of themes available. No jazz!
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #5
Trustee

Cinescore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Campbell View Post
thanks guys. I think I've pretty much sussed Cinescore now. There's not as much to it as I thought!

Just a bit disappointed in the range of themes available. No jazz!
You will forever be disappointed by the range & quality of themes..... but it has two major selling points for me.... cheap & fast to learn.

SonifFire's theme selection & quality will completely beat Cinescore every time (unless Son drastically changes their priorities) but each SonicFire purchased pack gives you less variety of themes where as a Cinescore theme pack goes all over the place to give lots of variety (but it sounds like samples and not recorded music).
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I read somewhere recently that Sony entered into some agreement with SonicFire so that they can integrate SmartSounds in with Cinescore. That could be good.
Jonathan Plotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 10:28 AM   #7
Trustee

SmartSounds in Cinescore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Plotkin View Post
I read somewhere recently that Sony entered into some agreement with SonicFire so that they can integrate SmartSounds in with Cinescore. That could be good.
That would be interesting for sure. Cinescore cannot control the individual instruments like SonicFire can so either Cinescore will get different themes to work with, or will just lack the ability to use that control.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...