Music Video? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 26th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Music Video?

Anyone done a music video with Vegas? Something with lots of effects on top of effects, etc?

Lacking any capabilities?

Any problems?
Jaums Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 07:16 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaums Sutton View Post
Anyone done a music video with Vegas? Something with lots of effects on top of effects, etc?

Lacking any capabilities?

Any problems?
I've used it for shooting a couple of things where the performers were working to playback audio. I did one in Premiere Pro (9 camera passes!) and then, when I got to have a go on Vegas 8, tried it again. The "rough" vision-mix I ended up with in Premiere Pro took me about 80 mins - to get to the same stage in Vegas took exactly 9 mins. And I definitely think Vegas is better if you're doing HD work.

You can "nest" effects on the clip / timeline / final output - and yes, I know you can do similar in Premiere, by creating a new timeline, putting a sequence in and then applying effects to that, but Vegas is SO much easier and more intuitive.

I would say I don't like Vegas as much as Premiere Pro for automated audio mixing, though, but then I haven't done anything that requires this feature yet, in Vegas.
Mark Harmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 11:44 AM   #3
Major Player

Are there specific capabilities or tools you are concerned about?

Here is a Vegas-edited music video I did a couple of years ago, (Vegas 5) and there are a number of effects toward the end, as well as starting around 2:49, but your question may best be answered by first describing what it is you wish to achieve, and then you can be advised whether or not Vegas is a tool which can help achieve it and make your decisions accordingly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAeUPuDEjVk

Brian
Brian Mitchell Warshawsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Nice Video Brian...
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #5
Major Player

Jeff,

Thanks - and on a zero budget! Credit to a unique piece of music, but I'm not sure how something like this might be done on another platform on a zero budget with inexpensive DV gear.

Brian
Old November 27th, 2007, 08:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Very interesting! The visual images certainly enhance the music. Thanks for sharing.

And yes, the effects you used there are what I'm concerned about being able to do with Vegas. You know, that falsehood [?] that Vegas can't do what the big guys [Final Cut Pro Avid & Premiere] can do.

Here is a link to a trailer we did of a documentary we did all using Premiere 6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNTDub8qSQM

Don't want to give up capabilities by switching to Vegas.
Jaums Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I use Vegas, but am envious of Premier users. Why? DVD Encore is one reason, and another is the amazing workflow potential between After Effects, Photoshop, Premier, etc., etc., etc..
Old November 27th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #8
Major Player

One counter argument to Premiere's Adobe-based workflow may be that Vegas itself has includes impressive composite/graphics tools which Premiere users might need After Effects to provide. Yet using Vegas does not preclude making use of After Effects, Photoshop, or any other 3rd party tools.

Brian
Old November 29th, 2007, 02:25 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Here's one I made earlier. Vegas 7, I think, but it may have been in 6. As far as I recall this was done entirely in Vegas with no sneaky little trips to After Effects.

http://www.film-it.net/stuff/spaceship.wmv

I used the Vegas Bump filter for the lighting effects, NewBlueFX's Colorize to pick out the blues and reds and Magic Bullet Looks for the runway shots.

Edit: Oh yeah, zero budget as well.

Further edit: Just found the .veg - also used Brightness/Contrast, Levels, Light Rays (tree sequence at beginning and end), Glow, Noise and the B&W filters.

I am increasingly able to remain within Vegas to produce this kind of thing and while I use After Effects a great deal in my work I find it's primarily for occasions when I need to produce animation, work in 'pseudo 3d', or do sophisticated titling. For straightforward compositing, layering up effects etc, Vegas works a charm. And I love the flexibility it gives - in particular the ease with which I can experiment. Horses for courses.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 07:14 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Very nice...nice camera work too. What cam did you use?
Old November 29th, 2007, 08:48 AM   #11
Major Player

Ian,

Is the lead singer American?

Brian
Old November 29th, 2007, 08:49 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Thanks Jeff. Canon XL2.

Brian, no she's South African, sorry!
Old November 29th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #13
Major Player

I was trying to place her accent.

Great work on the video!

Brian
Old November 29th, 2007, 08:57 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Oh, sorry! Thought you were going to ask me to broker a meeting!! Her husband (Neil, the guitarist) might have something to say about that!

Yeah, she's from SA - as are the whole band. They live over here in the UK now and are enjoying a fair amount of success. Really nice people too, which makes for a pleasant shoot!

Ian . . .
Old November 29th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
Oh, sorry! Thought you were going to ask me to broker a meeting!! Her husband (Neil, the guitarist) might have something to say about that!
Too funny.

I think my wife would have something to say about that as well!

Brian
Brian Mitchell Warshawsky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...