Preview Monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 29th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Preview Monitor

New issue-
When you preview videos im editing the preview monitor is out of color...but if I put an effect on it, it looks normal, any ideas?

Maybe my monitor is going?
Peter Ferriero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:07 PM   #2
Inner Circle

One really should not judge color or exposure on any computer monitor regardless of type UNLESS it's an LCD thats been color corrected with color bars, waveform scope and vectorscope and even then it may never show true colors or exposure. Obviously a true production monitor with bluegun, properly calibrated is the best way to judge but a small TV that has color and exposure correction available can work nicely as well.
Take a clip that has known values, blacks, whites grays, then a set of color bars and adjust as needed but be careful as TVs can be a far off as a computer monitor.
As for a clip changing color values by applying an FX to it first I must ask what FX are you applying and second I haven't seen any FX other than color correction, 2ndy color correction, levels, HSL adjust, and others that were made to adjust color change the color values.
Last question is what is 'normal'? I don't ask to be a smarta** but it goes back to the monitor you're looking at. Again, computer monitors are about 2nd from the bottom on the list to judge color and exposure.
I use a couple of HP LCDs for editing and when I first hooked them up the one I use for preview was so far off the the TV I've been using for about 3 years I thought I would never get the LCD to match and guess what. I didn't even though I got it close but I trust the TV as I know it's about as right as right can be.
Try hooking up a TV thru the camera using composite or component depending if it's SD or HD(V) and see what it looks like there.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 12:36 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Make sure the "split screen" button is not clicked. Little icon above the preview window, a rectangle with a circle in it.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...