Software Settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 18th, 2007, 05:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Software Settings

Ok so this is a hobby for me and I do not work in any field related to video. I just enjoy seeing what I can (or can’t) do with it. Recently I had some hardware problems and decided to upgrade some of the components. After all it had been about 18 months since the last upgrade. So here is the system as it will be in about 2 weeks.

Mother Board : Asus P5K Premium w/WiFi
Processor for now : Intell Core 2 Dual at 2.0 Ghz E4400 FSB800, LGA775 socket
Ram: 3 GB

Hard Drives:
1 WD 320 GB (drive C)
2 WD 500 GB RAID 0

Monitors : 2 ACER 22” displays
Video Card GeForce 8600 GTS

DVD Burner – Lite-On DVDRW LH-20A1H (Light Scribe)
Hauppauge WinTV HVR-16000 NTSC TV Card

A little later I will be upgrading the processor to a Quad with more ram.
In preparation for the Quad I have ordered XP Pro x64 to be able to take advantage of the extra ram possibilities.

For editing I use Vegas 8.

So here are the questions.

1 During or after installing x64 are there any settings I should change?
2 After a new install of Vegas, are there recommended setting that will better utilize the system?
3 Any other hardware suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

Don
Don Boosinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 06:11 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boosinger View Post
In preparation for the Quad I have ordered XP Pro x64 to be able to take advantage of the extra ram possibilities.
What have the quad cpu with your RAM possibilities to do? Nothing.

If you want to use more then 3GB, you will need the Windows x64 architect...
I have tested Vegas 7e & 8a on Win x64 with 4GB RAM. No boost at all in workflow or in rendering, not even in Windows... Bet i'll bet 2GB DDR3 RAM with at least 1333MHz or 1600MHz will do it...

By the way, The only thing which counts, when rendering, is the cores and speed of the CPU, and not the amount of RAM...Well 64MB is to little, you understand...
RAM is good for workflow, like switching applications, more applications running at the same time, less time when swithing and so...

Never have any antivirus or spyware applications in background, or any other background processes. Best to dedicate a machine just for vegas...

Sony Vegas does not natively support 64 bit Windows... On your own risk...
Better go with the supported instructions for Vegas. Vegas is built for a certain specc, I think Sony have made it good enough for what it support...

For more information about Vegas on 64 bit Windows, search on sonymediasoftware forum place... hundred's of threads...
Kim Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 08:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Kim

Well I was thinking of going to a Quad & 1333Mhz...........but I'm in no hurry.
I may end up with a dual boot system.........
Thanks for the tip about the Sony forum....... there is a lot there, more than I want to read tonight......
Don Boosinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 12:09 PM   #4
Major Player

Okey, I'm glad you found some night reading...

A dual system is not so bad. Im running a Intel Core 2 Duo E6700, a 2.67GHz, a little bit clocked to 3.00GHz. And Im using 4GB DDR2 667MHz (3GB availible) in Win XP Pro x86, i didnt know this at the time I purchased my computer...

This is enough for personal use. Hell it could even be A high end system too...

I bought this for 1,5 years ago for 3000 dollars. Today you can buy the same for 800 dollars... Well actually you could get a quad system for that price... !!!

My suggestion is to drop x64 thinking, and at least wait until Sony show their x64 bit supported Vegas. Because it can only cause you nightmares, or possible a little tiny bit faster on a not supported video editing software. Read on Sony's website, soon will it be available, maybe already under 2008.
Kim Olsson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...