Proper Setting for Capturing HDV 1080i from an HV-20? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 2nd, 2008, 08:23 PM   #1
Trustee

Proper Setting for Capturing HDV 1080i from an HV-20?

I'm trying to capture some HDV 1080i (not 24P) footage from my HV-20 into Vegas 8.

I tried capturing the footage and playing the resulting .m2t file in Nero. It is incredibly jagged when there is ANY movement. When I put the .m2t file into the Vegas timeline it plays with lots of stutters.

I don't believe it's a computer problem. (XP Pro, 2 Gig RAM, 3 Gig P4, capturing to a WD Raptor 10,000 PRM drive).

I must have some settings wrong.

Can anyone give me quick and dirty list of what I should have set when I do this? THANKS MUCH!
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 09:46 PM   #2
Inner Circle

P4 may be a bit slow. First, try VLC Media player, it is free. Second, try playing in VLC with Deinterlace activated.

Have you tried simple Windows Media player ?

Your system sound like it is at bottom end of just being good enough to edit HDV in. In Vegas, if you probably need to set playback window to Preview, half or Quarter to get smooth playback. Remember, it takes a lot of processor work to play back HDV, or encode to other type files.

One alternative with your system is to go to Cineforms NeoHDV. It capture a file that is about 3x size of an .m2t file, but it is .avi. with each frame being whole. That means your processor does not have to interpolate each frame, as happens in HDV.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...