Is vegas Pro worth the upgrade? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 16th, 2008, 04:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Is vegas Pro worth the upgrade?

Is Vegas Video PRO 8.0 worth the upgrade? I have 7.0d running on my vista ultimate 64bit fine. I came back to vegas video after trying adobe premiere. It was totally different and i felt like i was going no where. Vegas seems alot easier. thanx Chris
Chris Wysocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 05:21 PM   #2
Inner Circle

To be perfectly honest, you're the only one who can make that decision.
Take a look at the Release Notes for Vegas 8 and decide if there's been enough changes to make it worthwhile.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 02:04 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Mike is correct, but below is my 2cents.

My experience as an event videographer who shoots in SD is that I haven't seen any benefit. A small number of people, including myself, have experienced a few bugs, and I personally wish I had waited for 9.

The new Titler is supposed to be ok if you have the patience to learn it, but I find it awkward and unfriendly. It caused Vegas to freeze up on me as it has for a few others, and I abandoned it. I do not recall anyone raving about the upgrade, but some do like the titler.

If you were to ask if anyone was blown away or if they loved the upgrade, I doubt you would get much of a reaction. My perception of other's reactions was that the whole deal was pretty ho-hum.

Look over the release notes like Mike suggested and see if there is anything there that makes it worth your while.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 05:34 AM   #4
Regular Crew

the new titler is things that willl push me to get that. Im gonna check on youtube to see if i can get some visual shots of what i can expect. This new titler seems nice. Is that biggest major change for the program? I have a canon xha1 , so i dont care for the newer cam support like fx1 , HDV still rocks hard!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 17th, 2008, 05:42 AM   #5
Inner Circle

If you check VASST, Chris, Douglas SE has a tutorial or something available regarding the titler. I don't know if it is free or what, but it might be worth looking into.

I intend to play more with the titler when time permits since I installed the update (hopefully that will take care of whatever issue was there for me) but I am just too busy right now.

Good luck!
Old January 17th, 2008, 06:48 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Go here on YouTube for a titler tutorial video from "TheHappyFriar".
He links to them on his site.
On the "Related Videos" link on the right hand side, you'll see more clips from him, VASST and others.
VASST has a new DVD in their collection called Master the Pro Type Titler for $59.00
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #7
Sponsor: JET DV

Even if you're still doing SD, there ARE many changes that are worthwhile. As mentioned, the titler does allow you to do many things that were previously impossible within Vegas. Built-in Multi-cam could be a benefit if you don't have one of the scripts for multi-cam. And speaking of scripts, many new scripting abilities have been added including the ability to create a "Custom Command" which is a script that can be opened in a dockable window and remain open while editing.

Take a look at my recent newsletters - Vol 5 #1 gives an overview of what's new in Vegas Pro 8. Vol 5 #2 has a ProType tutorial in it. So check them out and see if there's some things that could help you.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 08:52 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Thanks Edward, I need to learn scripting. The custom command capability sounds great.
Old January 17th, 2008, 11:46 AM   #9
Regular Crew

thanx guys for the great feedback , how about 360 pan cropping? is that available? im gonna try to explain it , i hope i do it well. Like if u wanted to spin a video or picture front to back , tilt it at an angle. Is that available?

thanx Chris
Old January 17th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wysocki View Post
...how about 360 pan cropping? is that available? im gonna try to explain it , i hope i do it well. Like if u wanted to spin a video or picture front to back , tilt it at an angle. Is that available?
If I understand what you're looking for, it's been available since Vegas 5. Look in the help file for 3D Compositing.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wysocki View Post
I have a canon xha1, so I don't care for the newer cam support like fx1.
Be aware of the 30F problems. I haven't tried the new 8.0b patch yet, but the release notes don't say anything about it being fixed.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...