Newbie to Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 24th, 2008, 10:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Newbie to Vegas

Hello.
I just purchased and installed Vegas 8.0b and started playing with it this morning. I have been using Avid Liquid for the past few years and am used to its workflow and features but decided to try Vegas - mainly for HD.

One thing right off the bat I noticed is that you cannot have multiple timelines (sequences in Liquid) per project but a project has only one timeline and you need to create new projects for new timelines. Then you can import the projects into a master timeline. Is this the case?

In Liquid you have unlimited sequences per project and you can pull these sequences into a master sequence.

Thanks
Jim
Jim Bucciferro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 10:45 AM   #2
Trustee

Multiple timelines ? Do you mean multiple "video" tracks and "audio" tracks ?
If so the i think vegas pro 8 allows unlimited tracks.
On the left of the timeline,where you have controls for each track,go underneath the bottom track,into that empty space,right click your mouse,and now you have the option of adding more tracks.I hope this is what you mean.
Paul.
Old January 24th, 2008, 10:56 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Multiple Timelines

Paul,
No. What I mean is multiple timelines per project. I can add tracks easily but if I want to create another timeline do I have to create a new project?

In Liquid you can have multiple timelines per project.

Thanks
Jim
Old January 24th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Jim, first of all, welcome to the wondeful world of both Vegas and this forum :-)

Sorry but Vegas doesn't have a "multiple timelines" option.
As you suspected, you need to have multiple copies of Vegas open and work between them.

I'd also suggest looking into using "nested vegs".
For example, I do a graduation video for my kids' grade school each year.
It's broken into 5 separate segments.
Each one is worked on independently and then a fnal master is done.
When all 5 segments are done, I start a new project and, instead of importing all the media, I import the 5 veg files and drop them on the timeline.
The beauty of doing this is that I can still edit each veg file if needed by right-clicking on it and selecting "open as new project" (or something like that).
Make the change(s), save it and the master project is instantly updated.

Be advised that nested vegs come in as one video track and one stereo audio track (5.1 isn't supported yet), no matter how many tracks the original veg had.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #5
Trustee

Jim,

Just curious, why would you want to have multiple timelines in the same project? What are you doing with them?
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Multiple Timelines

Garret,
Well, in Liquid, your project encapsulates everything about what you're doing with all of the video. It keeps everything together. I can create another sequence and still have all my video assets in the project.

Is there a way to transfer media and video assets between projects?

So in Vegas you have to have multiple instances running. How is this on the system resources?

Jim
Old January 24th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #7
Trustee

By assets do you mean video effects, color plugins etc?

If so you can click on the clip that contains the FX's you want, do a Ctrl C (co copy) then highlite the clip you want to transfer it to, then on the edit pull down menu there's a "Paste Event Attributes". If this is what you're trying to accomplish.

As far as multiple instances, it isn't too bad on the system. As long as you don't leave the clip running (playing in the preview window) it works without a noticeable slow down. I usually don't use nested projects because that does seem to slowdown my machine. Also, as Mike mentioned, it only pulls in the bus channels. I usually work on a scene then copy and paste it into the final compiled project. It carries all edits, FX's, etc. and I get all the video and Audio tracks in my final project.

The dissadvantage is if I decide to reedit the scene I have to pull it back in. But as they say, there's a million ways to skin a cat.
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Jim,
I'm wondering if you can get what you want (all resources in one project for multiple edits) by just muting the tracks you are not using and starting the new tracks (I call them timelines) below, above, to the right (or left for that matter) of the muted tracks, then highlight what your want to render when ready? Another option might be to save the .veg with a new name which should include the references to media in the new bin and edit the new portion. I usually work on parts, render to .avi, then assemble the .avi's into a master file for final touches and final render (which goes very fast since almost everything is already rendered). Hope some of this helps.
Randy
Randy Stewart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...